Goldfish Eating Bubbles Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Wasika Wahab Rafa, Aug 1, 2017.

1. W

Wasika Wahab Rafa New Member Member

I think my gold fishes are thinking air bubbles as food. They are not always gulping. But occasionally they would go to the surface of water and try to eat small food shaped bubbles. They don't go near big bubbles. My airpump is new and I don't know how to control the flow. I think its making too big bubbles. Anyways, I always turn the air pump off during feeding. I hand feed them so that they get fair shares. But after I'm done they seem more hungry. And then after I turn the pump on they are eating bubbles. They do it for couple of minutes and when they understand that this is not food they will return back to their places. After some minutes or hours they will do the same thing. They imitate the same thing as they do while I'm feeding them.

Is it bad for them? Can they have any disease from eating bubbles? If it's bad how can I stop them from doing so?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  2. FishFandom

FishFandom Valued Member Member

They probably are getting oxygen. What size is your tank? How many goldfish do you have? What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

3. OP
    OP
    W

They are not doing it all the time.. They do it when the air pump is on. I've checked this by turning the pump of. So I guess this is not about oxygen. They do it right after feeding . And also do it occasionally. If it was for oxygen they would be doing it all day long. Right?

I don't have anything to measure those levels. As aquariums are not very commonly used here. People don't test water. Even I didn't know that we have to test aquarium water before joining this forum. My tank is 7.1L. I know my fish tank is small for 2 gold fishes. But I don't have enough space or money to buy a bigger one. So I'm doing 75-80% water change every other day. I also use water conditioner in new water before adding it to the tank.
    I also feed them very little.. 12 pellets for 2 fish.. I feed them twice a day.

4. FishFandom

FishFandom Valued Member Member

Oh my gosh... That is even too small for a betta. You NEED to get them out. Yes, it is oxygen. Since it is over stocked, they have lack of oxygen. You need a test kit. Why keep goldfish when you don't have the right sized tank? Just put them in a bigger plastic tub, please.

5. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Can you rehome the goldfish? Your tank is way too small - 2.5 gallons or 9.5 liters is recommended as the minimum for even a betta. Even with doing those large water changes daily, your goldfish are going to be super unhappy in that tank. Ammonia and oxygen are going to be huge problems. I would see if a family member or friend could give them a better life, or donate them to a local fish/pet store.

6. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

What type of goldfish is it? Some stay smaller than others

7. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

It wouldn't matter what type of goldfish , their isn't any goldfish that could live in a 1.8g fish tank.

It might be a lack of oxygen , goldfish need lots of oxygen more then other species of fish. They also produce alot of bio-load so without a test kit you cant tell what your parameters are , but make sure you keep doing those large water changes. I would be doing 50-70% water changes daily.

just so you know tho , comon/comet goldfish get over a foot long and should only be housed in a pond, but For two FANCY Golfish they would need a 40g to be comfortable.

Also I'm not sure if you do have one but goldfish require filters.

Your best bet would be to buy a large plastic tub from Wal-Mart and house your goldfish in their for the time being.

8. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

Some goldfish stay at around 6 inches and others grow huge. Maybe OP would have room for small goldfish, but either way they need a much larger space. I agree with getting a large plastic container for the time being

9. filtered_light

filtered_light Valued Member Member

Hi OP!
    I am not an expert but I don't think eating an occasional bubble will hurt them, if it isn't too often, assuming they aren't low on oxygen, which they could be. Goldfish do need bigger amounts of water to stay healthy. What size goldfish are they now?

To everyone, please remember that every person's situation is different, and this forum is open to anyone in the world. Not everyone has access to big pet stores or Amazon or resources to set up an ideal tank. I respectfully suggest, when speaking on a global forum, that people please think about how you like to be treated, and then soften your statements even further than that to allow for cultural and language differences. Not specific to this poster but something I think about a lot. Context is really important and we usually don't know what people's context is when interacting online. Thanks for reading these thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  10. JesseMoreira06

I know, goldfish of all species of fish are my favorite. What I ment was their is no goldfish suitable for a 1.8g tank. Fancy goldfish can get anywhere from 5" to 9" depending on the exact kind but still no where suitable for a 1.8g, rule of thumb for FANCY goldfish is 30g for the 1st and 10-15g for each additional.

11. JesseMoreira06

not to be rude , but Plastic tubs?? Their must be a Wal-Mart or some kinda store somewhere near by to get a large plastic tub, they cost 5-10$.

12. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

Honestly, the way I see it (and many others too). Its not the fishes fault that the owner does not have the resources. If you don't have the resources you should not take on the responsibility. This is a forum of fishkeepers, the OP asked for advice why the fish are acting strange. The answer is they are in an ridiculously too small tank. That's the answer, the solution? Well if there are no resources to get a bigger tank then the fish must be rehomed.

13. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Exactly - this is a public forum dedicated to proper fish care.

We aren't being rude, we are answering a question and giving advise.

The last thing we would want to do here is to give impression that it is even remotely acceptable to abuse an animal that should grow to 7 inches by stuffing it into an 8 inch tank.

If OP cannot afford to $10 tub to care for an animal and made an uninformed decision when taking on the responsibility to care for it, then the fish needs to be rehomed.

Gosh, if I suddenly learned I had to get a tank 20x larger than what I thought I needed, I wouldn't want anything to do with that fish. Large tanks are a lot of effort and $. Filtration alone is 50$. Rehoming is the appropriate course of action.

It's excusing this sort of behaviour that drove goldfish care into the ground. Making excuses is what we should not be doing on a global forum.

14. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

I'm assuming you went to the pet store and got a goldfish bowl and a couple of goldfish because there was no one there to help you or the person there said it would be just fine? One thing that so many people don't realize is that almost all animals from pet stores are young and not full grown, be it puppies or rabbits or fish, the size they are when you buy them is not their full grown size. Unfortunately with fish they look like full grown fish so we see them and assume they are done. A good store will say at least how large they will get. There is no way those fish will survive in a small 7.1 L tank and if the problem were going to be easily fixed by saying that you were going to get a bigger tank in a few days I wouldn't be too concerned, the real problem appears to be that there will never be space for even a plastic container. If you know someone who would like them, see if you can help them out by getting the plastic container.

15. OP
    OP
    W

First of all I didn't know that gold fish needs that big space. I'm a total newbie in this matter. So thethey seemed ok for that tank. If I knew that I would not get those fishes.
    Thanks for your advices. I'll rehome them. I'll find something else for the tank. I wanted to know about what to keep in that small tank in this forum.
    May be you could be less harsh while talking.. Using words like "OMG" , "Ridiculous" is now discouraging me to post anything else in this forum.
    Do you know me or my situation? I got these fishes as a gift and I really wanted them to stay with me. So I tried what I can do..but I didn't know that isn't enough for the fishes. Not all are "expert" on fish keeping. If I knew I wouldn't post it in a forum. I wouldn't buy them at all.

16. JesseMoreira06

Honestly nothing can fit in a 1.8 gallon bowl or tank, the most you could do is shrimp or snails and even at that its still very tight. I would try getting a 2.5 g at the very minimum but a 5g which would be better and you can then house a single Betta comfortably, but without test kits ect.. it'll be extremely hard to stay in this hobby, you'll never know when something is going wrong ect..

I do think you did good by doing those every other day 70% water changes that was smart, but for you and your goldies it's best to rehome them to someone that has a pond. It'll be less work on you and less stress on them , keeping them in such a small bowl will only lead to even bigger problems.

Good luck to you!!

17. KO_

KO_ Valued Member Member

I used the word "Ridiculously" as a description for the size of the tank for the goldfish. Nothing towards you as a person. Just that the tank is "Ridiculously" too small.

18. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

@OP I totally understand. My first goldfish were 5 Moors in a 5g tank.
    I didn't know. I was 13, and if I learned they need 60 gallons I would think that's ridiculous considering I already wanted nothing to do with caring for a 5g. When they "unexplicably" died it put me off fish for a long time.

Veiltail Bettas are a far more rewarding and easier pet, need minimum 2.5g, heater, filter, and you're set for 4 years if you do your water changes. Dont give up on the hobby and get a betta. I wish someone told me goldfish were so hard to care for when I had those poor Moors.

19. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The Op has been advised on their issue, what they now choose do do is entirely their decision, thread closed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice