Goldfish dropsy - safe to treat with aquarium salt and a salt bath??

Cowardlyslimeball

Hi everyone
This morning I noticed some really concerning symptoms in my goldfish, tomogatchi. I'm just going to fill out the emergency template so here goes:

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
20 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
A couple of months
Does it have a filter?
Yes, it's a 20gal internal filter I believe
Does it have a heater?
No
What is the water temperature?
70°F
What is the entire stocking of this tank?
One oranda goldfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Every week
How much of the water do you change?
50%
What do you use to treat your water?
API aquarium salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
What do you use to test the water?
No, it's a temporary setup, it used to have to comets but I switched them with the oranda to quarantine him and treat his fin rot with salt. I added some cycled media when I set it up but I don't know if it's cycled yet.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
I don't have any test strips but this is the parameters for my other tank, so you know what my water is like. I changed 50% of the water yesterday, so it should be okay
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 20
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.8
Hardness is 150

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every day
How much do you feed your fish?
A pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Tetra tropical flakes, omega one goldfish pellets, or topfin goldfish crumbles
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
About a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
This morning
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Swollen abdomen on left side, (and possibly a little on the other side, it's hard to tell) bleeding on veins of ventral and caudal fins, lethargy, and fin rot (he's had that for a couple weeks, and it's healing well)
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
No, but I've been treating his fin rot in the 20gal with API aquarium salt for a couple weeks
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Yes. Lethargy and erratic swimming from the swelling. He ate a few flakes this morning, but not as much as usual

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

This morning when I checked on him (he is in a 20gal quarantine tank for fin rot)
I noticed that he was laying on the ground, so I looked him over and noticed the symptoms I listed above ^. I carefully picked him up to have a closer look and I saw lines of red in his fins, plus blood coming out of his scales on the left side where he's swelling. He's swimming around the tank now, but he's having a hard time balancing. Please help!! He's my absolute favorite fish and I would be really upset if something happened to him

-Edit-
I forgot to post pictures:

IMG_20210318_110246417.jpg
Bleeding in ventral fins ^

IMG_20210318_105754376~3.jpg
Swelling from above ^

IMG_20210318_105808127~2.jpg
And from behind ^

betta06

do his scales look raised?

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

do his scales look raised?
They're poking out a little bit, but it's not like other cases of dropsy I've treated, it looks like maybe the blood is pushing the scales flat in comparison to the round stomach, I stead of straight up pine coning. Plus, it's just on one side. Maybe it's early stages. I have epsom salt.

Upvote 0

betta06

not sure then... but i think the epson salt bath would help reduce the swelling maybe wait for someone with more experience with goldfish to conform this though.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

not sure then... but i think the epson salt bath would help reduce the swelling maybe wait for someone with more experience with goldfish to conform this though.
Thank you! I think it's probably a good idea to to epsom salt baths since there's definitely bloating, but I want to know about the bleeding first if I can. Unfortunately there are no goldfish gurus yet.

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

Your nitrites are to high, maybe that has something to do with it.
As for the swelling It could be something he ate, or a water issue. And you do have a water issue, Its best to be fixing that up.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Your nitrites are to high, maybe that has something to do with it.
As for the swelling It could be something he ate, or a water issue. And you do have a water issue, Its best to be fixing that up.
Thank you! The parameters were from a different tank, so you could see what my waters usually like (sorry if that was kind of useless), but would a water change be a good idea? And would an epsom salt dip help if he ate something? I don't understand why his fins would bleed from that so there could be more going on too..
Thanks!

Upvote 0

LeafY4life77

Can you give me your water parameters from the tank he is in currently?

(Edit) It wasn't useless you should still be fixing up your nitrites, try a water change!

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

I don't have any test strips, unfortunately.
I can do a water change though..
Another question:
If I give him an epsom salt dip, is it okay to have the aquarium salt still In the tank?

(Edit) It wasn't useless you should still be fixing up your nitrites, try a water change!
Oh, in the other tank?? I fixed it, no worries there now.

Hi everyone!
Long story short, I'm treating my bloated goldfish with an epsom salt dip, but his tank also has aquarium salt in it. Is that okay??
Thank you!!

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Hi everyone,

He's starting to bloat up on both sides now, and pine cone. I'm really concerned. He's my favorite fish.
I did an epsom salt dip, (is it okay to treat the tank with aquarium salt and do an epsom salt dip?? I put aquarium salt in his tank yesterday after a water change)
Please help!! How many epsom salt dips should I do and how often? Since he just started pine coning. I thought it was something else but it's getting to be painfully obvious.

16160962540811405277046.jpg

Upvote 0

Coradee

Several threads have been merged, members can advise you best if they have all the information in one place.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Update,
He's laying on the bottom and gasping. His right side is a little swollen, but his left is pine coning. I did a 25% water change, but I don't know what to do! Am I doing this right?

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

I'm doing a second epsom salt bath now, my plan is daily water changes and epsom salt dips three times a day. Hopefully this works. Does anyone know anything else I could do?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bumblinBee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sedna
Replies
Views
LadfromLondon