Goldfish died suddenly

Markinglis

Reaction score
Hi I have a small pond where I keep my 4 goldfish. This morning when I went out to feed them I noticed one just sitting completely still on the bottom of the pond tucked away in a corner. At first I thought he was resting but normally they would jolt about once they saw I had food. He didn’t and didn’t even look to be breathing. I didn’t check to see if he was alive as I had to go to work. My water parameters are normal and he was perfectly fine last night before I went to bed. It was very cold last night and we got snow but they have survived the pond freezing over before so I don’t know why they all of a sudden would die in the cold. Is it possible he has entered hibernation? Or is he dead? If so what are the reasons for a perfectly happy healthy goldfish to go from lively to dead the next morning?

CoryFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What are your Water parameters?
was this a sudden cold snap?

Markinglis

Reaction score
Ammonia and nitrites are both at 0. It wasn’t sudden cold weather. It was colder than it has been recently but the weather in Scotland right now has been pretty cold.

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

Markinglis

Reaction score
Nitrates are 15ppm

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Markinglis said:
Nitrates are 15ppm
Good, do you know about something leaking into the water that could possibly poison your goldies?

Markinglis

Reaction score
Nothing that I can think of. I’ve had the goldfish for around 6 months and nothing has changed that could leak into the pond. There is also water detoxifier in the pond to get rid of chlorine and Heavy metals.

It is also only 1 goldfish effected the rest are behaving normally

Sprinkle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Markinglis said:
Nothing that I can think of. I’ve had the goldfish for around 6 months and nothing has changed that could leak into the pond. There is also water detoxifier in the pond to get rid of chlorine and Heavy metals.
A water detoxifier working 24/7? If yes, the it might not be working properly and there might be some chlorine and heavy metals and this might affected your goldies.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sprinkle said:
A water detoxifier working 24/7? If yes, the it might not be working properly and there might be some chlorine and heavy metals and this might affected your goldies.
I feel sure this meant a water conditioner had been added to the pond.

Markinglis from the little i have read about goldfish some do go into hibernation. If it were me I wouldn't give up on this little guy yet. Of course you will want to keep a close eye on it just in case this isn't hibernation.

Markinglis

Reaction score
Good news everyone!!! When I got home today he was swimming around happily. I really don’t know what happened as he was just sitting lifeless this morning. Maybe he was entering hibernation and when the sun came out in the Afternoon he warmed up a bit. Anyway a happy ending my goldie is fine .

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you for letting us know. I always love to read happy endings. :)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads