Goldfish debate which one do I keep?

WagglePets

So I’m dumb and bought 2 little goldfish a black Moore named spooky and a orange fantail named pumpkin well obviously my 20 gallon can’t support both in the long run so I’m giving up one of them on here or tiktok (I have goldfish people on there) I’m sad though and I don’t know which one to give up so comment and please vote!!

Attachments

• FE5824AA-6BA8-4C3A-A190-7097C303BF5B.png
    FE5824AA-6BA8-4C3A-A190-7097C303BF5B.png
    937.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 5B8500B3-1C2F-44C1-8D92-A4C29DB0F8E3.jpeg
    5B8500B3-1C2F-44C1-8D92-A4C29DB0F8E3.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 11

Frank the Fish guy

They will be fine in there. No need to give them up. They will stay small in that tank.

WagglePets

They will be fine in there. No need to give them up. They will stay small in that tank.
What if I keep one of them will it grow to a somewhat large size?

Frank the Fish guy

No, it's the tank size. They give off a chemical that builds up in the water and is more concentrated in smaller tanks. It's their way of limiting their growth.

Plus these are fancy goldfish that stay small. No worries.

PeterFishKeepin

Frank the Fish guy I strongly strongly disagree with you, black moors and other fancy tail goldfish get well over 6-8inches and can live to around 20years, 20gal is defently not enough space, i would say the minimum tank size for 2 full grown fancy goldfish is 40gallons.

WagglePets please understand the tank size isnt large enough for 2 goldfish please upgrage tank size or rehome like you said, if it was me i would keep Pumpkin and rehome Spooky, but perhaps show both online and see which one people want rather then only showing one.

Best of luck :)
Peter :)

KingOscar

Most, if not all, of the oldest world record goldfish were kept in small tanks. (and stunted) It is simply not possible for these fish to be unhealthy or stressed and still break longevity records. But, they were all common goldfish. Fancy goldfish are genetically compromised with their arched spine and compressed mid section.

Here's what I would do: Keep both for now, supply healthy water and feed sparingly. Also keep the temperature as low as possible because that will slow metabolism and growth. Then monitor carefully. Eventually you may still need to upgrade the tank or rehome one.

jtjgg

you're not able to get a bigger tank? a 40g Breeder would be perfect for 2 fancy goldfish.

space isn't that big of an issue in regards to swimming space. but it does affect water volume and dilution. the less water volume, the higher the nitrate each week. you'll eventually need to be doing 50% water changes twice a week in a 20g with 2 adult goldfish to keep the nitrate level below 20ppm.

even though a lot of info out there says keep nitrate below 40ppm, in my experience goldfish do not do well when nitrate are above 20ppm. mine kept getting sick and dying, until i kept the nitrate below 20ppm.

WagglePets

you're not able to get a bigger tank? a 40g Breeder would be perfect for 2 fancy goldfish.

space isn't that big of an issue in regards to swimming space. but it does affect water volume and dilution. the less water volume, the higher the nitrate each week. you'll eventually need to be doing 50% water changes twice a week in a 20g with 2 adult goldfish to keep the nitrate level below 20ppm.

even though a lot of info out there says keep nitrate below 40ppm, in my experience goldfish do not do well when nitrate are above 20ppm. mine kept getting sick and dying, until i kept the nitrate below 20ppm.

I live with my parents and my dad told me last night “no more tanks and were not upgrading to any bigger tanks in my house” so I rehomed pumpkin today so all I have is spooky. Final question how should my water changing schedule be with one little goldfish?

jtjgg

test your water each week just before doing your weekly water change. i take a pic of my test results.

i would start with weekly 50% water changes until he gets bigger. if/when the nitrate goes between 20-40ppm, start doing 70-75% weekly water changes.

WagglePets

test your water each week just before doing your weekly water change. i take a pic of my test results.

i would start with weekly 50% water changes until he gets bigger. if/when the nitrate goes between 20-40ppm, start doing 70-75% weekly water changes.
Sounds good thanks a bunch!

MoorFanciesPlease

I know it's been a while, but you could also put them in a big tub of water supported by a filter (some people use these as a hospital tank). Then sell your 20 gal and use that money towards a 30-40 gal. The rule of thumb is 20 gal for one goldie and an additional 10 gal for each fish after that.
It's cheaper to go online and buy a tank from someone who no longer wants theirs than it is to buy in store. I got a 50 gal with the stand and everything for only $50!! Just because this guy was tired of seeing it in his garage!!

Also, the thing about goldfish stunting:
The organs still continue to grow despite the rest of their body being stunted. It's part of why goldies don't live as long in smaller tanks. Their insides become too big for the rest of their body. They need lots of room so they can be the big healthy fish that they can be. Your best bet is honestly getting the largest tank you can find for the cheapest price you can find. For the sake of the long run.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
Cantfeelmyeyebrows
  • Question
Replies
Views
WagglePets
40 Gallon Tank Goldfish spawning