Goldfish Cysts

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I made a thread a while back about my black moor who had stringy white poops and “lumps” on her sides. Now all three lumps have burst and have pus coming out. I ordered Prazipro for the white poops (which I’m assuming are internal parasites) but with the presence of the cysts I’m wondering if she has a bacterial infection as well.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
Tank: 55 gallons, with 3 other fancy goldfish.
I’ve been doing peroxide swabs on the cysts as they ruptured, and today I decided to squeeze all the pus out (gross visual, sorry) to help them heal. What’s going on with her? I’ve had her for about 8 months and she has been a fairly healthy fish up until recently, but I noticed she has been growing very slowly. What’s going on with her? Here’s some pics:
1st cyst:
89ABB1D5-4E48-4683-A14C-5A1C5DD03A43.jpeg

(I didn’t get a pic of the second when it burst)
3rd cyst:
8A230336-1910-4FF8-BB97-E978A2ED1ACF.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any help, I’m very worried about her and don’t want to lose her.

Swampgorilla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How is the fish behaving? Eating? Swimming?

You are the one that had the cotton-like growths on the fish right?

And those growths have ruptured now?

Are there any other growths on the fish that have NOT ruptured?

For the ones that have ruptured - how are they healing? Are they getting worse? Are the holes getting any bigger?

What did you use to treat that tank for fungus? Was it Pimafix??? Can't remember.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know what caused the cyst? I'd keep the water as clean as possible and add some Melafix and Pimafix for now. Watch it a day or 2 and let us know how it's going.

I guess Swamp Gorilla and I were typing at the same time. If you have already tried Pimafix, for how long?

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have no clue what caused them, they just appeared one day. I don’t see any other lumps on her, so I think they have all ruptured. I did have an outbreak of cottonmouth over a year ago, but not recently. I had a fish who had saprolegnia fungus growing on dead skin after a very bad injury, but that’s gone now (that fish has almost fully healed, by the way!). I treated the fungus with hydrogen peroxide swabs, I haven’t medicated the tank at all yet (aside from a double dose of Stresscoat to promote my injured fish’s scales to regrow). Prazipro is on the way, I ordered it online. The cysts have been healing pretty well, but I’m worried because there have been three in rapid succession along with white poop.

As for behavior, she hasn’t been as active but I haven’t seen her bottom-sitting or clamping her fins. She’s eating normally and seems very excited about food. But that being said, I can tell she’s not feeling great.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish are tough but I would watch it to be sure of no infection. Clean water! A little Melafix wouldn't hurt.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@Goldiemom, I wanted to update you on my oranda. Here’s a recent picture:
8818B7B0-7805-454D-A4E2-3C1D49C54564.jpeg

His scales are growing back! Yay!

But back to the other fish: Could parasites have anything to do with the cysts? I suspect she has internal parasites (hence the weird-looking poop)

Swampgorilla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Go with what Mom says on the Melafix. I don't know if it will work but Goldfish tolerate it well.

Could parasites have anything to do with the cysts? Yes, possibly. Could be a number of things.

But without knowing, I would go through the gentlest treatement possible - at least for the next few days. Clean water and some Melafix if you have it.

I'd start pulling any ornaments out of the tank too ... cleaning them thouroughly ... vaccuuming the gravel real well ... cleaning the tank up as much as possible to reduce bacterial concentrations.

And I think a decent sized water change daily would help too.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, thank you. The first cyst has already healed almost entirely, so I’m hoping that they’ll all heal and no more will appear.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom