Goldfish constipated??

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by CaitMott626, Jul 8, 2015.

1. C

CaitMott626 New Member Member

One of my goldfish has been staying at the bottom of the tank and looking like he's struggling to breath. He's been like this for a few weeks now and I feel so bad. I have 2 comet goldfish in a 30g. At first I thought it was a nitrite problem, so I tested the water and it turned out to be pretty high. I ended up buying more plants and changing out water and now the nitrite problem is resolved. But my one fish is still the same. There's no redness on the fins or belly. No difference in appearance. He's always been kind of fat because he eats a lot more than the other goldfish. That is why I'm guessing it's constipation. He shoots up to the top every once in a while like he needs more oxygen.The other fish is perfectly fine. I've stopped feeding both and started giving them peas. I think it's helping a little bit. My question is, can I use Epsom salt in the tank while my other goldfish is in it too? I don't have another tank to separate them so that is why I'm asking.

2. chytownprincess

chytownprincess New Member Member

Cơųٳɖ ცɛ..ŧřყ ɠı۷ıŋɠ ŧɧɛ ٳıŧŧٳɛ ʄɛٳٳą ŧɧąɯɛɖ frozen קɛąŞ ɯıŧɧ ŧɧɛ ŞɧɛٳٳŞ removed

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

When you use Epsom salt you don't usually add it directly to the tank, net your fish into another container (a big enough Tupperware or Rubbermaid works just fine) and give him a bath in there. Just a couple teaspoons of salt per gallon for about 15-20 minutes then net your fish again and return it to it's tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    C

CaitMott626 New Member Member

Ohh okay! Thank you!

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

A couple of meals of green peas a week will prevent/treat constipation. Goldfish love greens and fruit.

Epsom salt dips shoulds be used as a last resort as it can be a little rough on the fish.
    Trivia:
    Despite the name Epsom Salt is not salt of any kind it is Magnesium Sulphate. It's called salt because of it's appearance.

Please keep us posted on your goldfishes condition.

Carol
    chytownprincess although cool your font is really hard to read.

6. Aquasculpt

Aquasculpt Valued Member Member

Some other things to note, you can use aquarium or pure salt in the aquarium at a 1tbs to 5 gallon ratio to help with the bowel movements. Studies have shown goldfish can actually withstand and thrive in higher salinity than this. Another issue your goldfish my be having is a congenital swim bladder disorder. I have an oranda with just such an issue. The fish will be healthy otherwise but will sit on the bottom of the tank and occasionally have issues swimming correctly. If you are feeding the fish peas and it behaves normally your best bet is a swim bladder disorder, feeding a healthy diet will help, but this is a chronic ailment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice