Goldfish Constipated or Parasites???

OHGold84

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20g
How long has the tank been running? months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? in the 70's no thermometer right now
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 goldfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 75%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum all of it

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? I have strips and a large kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: not on strip
Nitrite: safe
Nitrate: safe
pH: neutral

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2x a day
How much do you feed your fish? a small pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? NorthFin - I also feed fresh vegetables occasionally peas, broccoli, romaine
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? dry

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? over a year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? about 2 weeks
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? very long stringy poop
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no food for 36 hours
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? aside from resting on the bottom, it is alert/responsive when I walk by, and has an appetite

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

My goldish (2 in another tank) have done pretty well on this food since June. 2 weeks ago, I switched from 2mm to 3mm. I noticed that all of the fish's poop looked like it had a clear casing, but it was still thick and mostly brown. Within the last few days (post water change), the fish in question's poop is very! long (4 inches+) and thin, clear. One thing I did differently this water change was remove all of the gravel because it had black beard algae on it and I want to scrub it - I know this probably stressed the fish. I fed it some peas (as you will see in the picture/poop from yesterday - there are some red areas too). There were a couple of non encased poops in there this morning - green and red. I picked up some API General Cure but wanted to watch the fish a little longer/consult the group before starting it.

Attachments

jkkgron2

Yeah, a round of general cure would be a good idea. However, I’m a bit worried about your stocking. Common goldfish need a minimum of 55 gallons and do best in ponds. Are you planning on upgrading? If not you might want to consider rehoming him.

OHGold84

Yes. My ultimate goal is a 125 gallon tank. I have been monitoring the growth of my fish and hope to make the transition soon. This tank is a temporary solution.

jkkgron2

OHGold84 said:
Yes. My ultimate goal is a 125 gallon tank. I have been monitoring the growth of my fish and hope to make the transition soon. This tank is a temporary solution.
Sounds good then! If he’s still having weird poop after the treatment then you could try switching foods to see if it was the food.

NevermindIgnoreMe

What are the water parameters?
You might try doing a 4:1 ratio of plants to pellets for a bit to ease digestion.

OHGold84

I do not have the water parameters on hand, but I did just complete parasite treatment as a precautionary measure. Since my post, I have been going light on feeding after a 3 day fast. I switched back to flakes (a small pinch) and two servings of peas a day. The fish's poop consistency is slowly improving and it stopped resting on the bottom.

Top Bottom