goldfish care

gammerus

I have read abit on gold fish but I am still not sure what would be the best tank. I am told its 20gal for a single fish and another 10 for any additional fish. do goldfish fair well by themselves? or would it be better to get a couple? I have never had goldfish because my parents hate them but they are something I would like to consider.

Butterfly

They seem to do fine alone, and are very interactive with their owners. I have one that goes out in the summer and comes inside in the winter. Always comes to top to beg for food when I come by. There are so many beautiful goldfish out there now, I think your parents would be surprised
I will warn you though they will eat all but a few plants, Java Fern, Anubias and Java Moss are the only ones they don't readily eat.
Carol

Stradius011

Don't listen to the "have 20 gallons for a single fish and another 10 for additional fish." It is ineffective. Multiply the length and width of your tank. Then divide it by 30.
The number you get is how many inches of coldwater fish you can have.

Butterfly

Goldfish are a really heavy waste producers and need the extra room to swim and grow. It's really hard to keep their environment clean and safe for them if the tank isn't large enough. And yes gammerus you are correct, 20 G for the first goldfish and 10G for each succesive goldfish you add. Goldfish tanks are beautiful with pretty rockwork, driftwood and plants.
Stradius011 - i'm sorry but I have to respectfull disagree with you when we are talking about goldfish. Their needs are not the same as most coldwater fish.
Multiplying length x width and dividing by 30 doesn't really work in all instances.
My regular 20G tanks are 12in. x 24 in =288 in divide by 30 =9.6 inches of fish.
My 20G long tanks are 12 in. x 30 in.=360 in divide by 30 = 12inches of fish.
They both hold 20 gallons of water, but I don't think I want 9 inches or 12 inches of goldfish in a 20 G tank.
Carol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom