Goldfish can’t close mouth

Amber110

Hello. I have a comet goldfish (carnival goldfish) in a 55 gallon tank. He was temporarily in a 10 gallon quarantine tank due to swim bladder. My goldfish had gotten over swim bladder but hasn’t been able to close his mouth since. He is currently in a 55 gallon tank and hasn’t eaten in almost a week. He’s quite larger and I can see that there’s nothing lodged in his mouth. I’ve read that maybe he has a dislocated jaw? I’m not sure what to do and any help at all would be awesome. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 76

AJSFishKeeper

Did you check if there is anything stuck in it’s mouth like a piece of gravel? That can happen. If not, then there maybe other causes like an ulcer inside of it’s mouth.

Amber110

I checked and there’s no gravel stuck in his mouth. He was kept in a bare bottom tank and now is in a tank with only sand. Do you know if there’s any cures for an ulcer? Thank you

AJSFishKeeper

I checked and there’s no gravel stuck in his mouth. He was kept in a bare bottom tank and now is in a tank with only sand. Do you know if there’s any cures for an ulcer? Thank you

ulcer in mouth requires you to sedate the fish and treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide. But other than an ulcer, your goldfish might just be suffering from a locked jaw. with time, it might be able to correct itself, just provide it with clean tank water

Amber110

ulcer in mouth requires you to sedate the fish and treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide. But other than an ulcer, your goldfish might just be suffering from a locked jaw. with time, it might be able to correct itself, just provide it with clean tank water
Okay thank you so much for the help

Inner10

Hope it's not tetanus.

Amber110

Tetanus? I’m not sure what that is but it sounds awful

Amber110

I mean I know what tetanus is for people but I had no idea that fish could be harmed by the same bacteria

AJSFishKeeper

it may be tetanus, because it’s from a bacteria. Your goldfish does look like it has popeye which can come from a bacterial infection (though there are a lot more that can cause pop eye). Let’s just hope it isn't tetanus because u may need veterinary assistance if u wish to save your fish. The best thing you can do now is to maintain your water parameters and if you wish, you can get fish medication like kanaplex to treat for popeye/bacterial infections.

Amber110

it may be tetanus, because it’s from a bacteria. Your goldfish does look like it has popeye which can come from a bacterial infection (though there are a lot more that can cause pop eye). Let’s just hope it isn't tetanus because u may need veterinary assistance if u wish to save your fish. The best thing you can do now is to maintain your water parameters and if you wish, you can get fish medication like kanaplex to treat for popeye/bacterial infections.
Okay thank you so much for the help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tartarus13
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
LilBlub
Replies