Goldfish Bumps

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LilBlub, Apr 18, 2018.

1. LilBlub

LilBlubWell Known MemberMember

Recently my black mood goldfish has been displaying some unusual symptoms... Swimming with her tail higher than her head, and having long, white poops. But a couple days ago I noticed little “bumps”. They don’t really look like cysts, tumors or carp pox, they just look like... Bumps.
    5D9469C1-8038-45B0-969C-B96B5801D2B4.jpeg
    317637D6-AB51-448C-B252-AFF253B3EAE7.jpeg
    Tank size is 55 gallons, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 or so nitrate.
    What are these? Should I get her checked by a vet, to make sure they’re not tumors?

2. Zentuckyfriedchicken

ZentuckyfriedchickenWell Known MemberMember

White feces is *usually* parasites. As for the bumps... If they are white then it is ick. But I don’t know. In either case I would treat for parasites.

3. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

It’s definitely not ich. It almost looks like there’s something under her scales, like a little “bubble” or something. Do you think salt would help? It works with most parasites, but I have no idea what these parasites are...

4. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

I have her a salt bath, and noticed that the most prominent bump looks almost... Bloody?
    268174FF-E34C-4BDB-9736-9D98F4BEECA4.jpeg
    The white spots aren’t ich, I checked. They were just little pieces of undissolved salt in the bowl but stand out against her since she’s dark.

Has anyone seen this before? Would this be a symptom of parasites, or did she run into something and injure herself?

5. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried prazi yet?

6. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

No, I just noticed all these symptoms today so I haven’t bought any medications yet.

7. tunafax

Ok. I would try a medicine you can put into food like metronidazole for the white poo.

As for the lump, I think it's a cyst, which they usually get because of bad water quality. You can try to treat with antibacterial meds, or before you do that you can try to treat with large daily WC and peroxide swab. If it bursts, ew. Also infection everywhere do WC, but ew.

What are you parameters and tank size btw?

8. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-ish. Tank size is 55 gallons, and it’s been running for almost a full year. I do water changes once a week, the last one was on Sunday. Could the cyst be caused by an injury? I’ll try the peroxide swab.

9. tunafax

Could be injury. Hm, your tank seems perfect. Sometimes things happen, I guess.

You can also try to QT and treat with salt while swabbing (pls google peroxide swabs tho if you've never done it).

10. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

Oh, I’ve done it plenty of times... I’m an old pro at peroxide swabs ;).

I gave her a salt bath, will that be enough? Or will it only kill the parasites if she’s in it for a long time? She didn’t handle the salt well, she kept tipping over and I only left her in for about 10 minutes. I’ve given some of my other fish salt baths and they were all fine, I guess she’s just delicate.

11. OP
    OP
    LilBlub

The cyst burst in the night. I gave her a swab and I’ll do a big water change today. There was white stuff coming out of it when I turned on the light this morning. Pus?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice