63.2%
  2. 1 spotted puffer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. upgrade my current 20g inhabitants, put 1 fancy in 20g

42.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Soooooooo, I kinda just bought a new 55g tank/stand off CL for $75 delivered. :clapping:

But I don't know what do with it!

I've been really into fancy goldies since seeing everyone post their fin babies and I saw some *beautiful* bronze ones that I can't stop thinking about. But I've also wanted another brackish tank for my very own spotted puffer. The idea a bigger fw tank sounds so appealing too! :pokey: Help me choose.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Ilovee. I voted for Fancy Gold Fish. I love mine! My girl Fifi (chocolate oranda) Greets me every morning (along with her tank mates) and I just love her! (assuming it's female lol)You may have seen my photos of her I posted yesterday. I think you would enjoy them in your tank.
    Keep us posted please. I can't wait to see what you decide on.
    Ken

3. kloseo Well Known Member Member

i vote the goldies, sounds fun

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I voted upgrade. I'm just not a Goldfish fan. I do look at them when I go to my lfs but they don't interest me that much to bring home. We all like what we like, so whatever you like go for it! :D

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Goldies are a lot of fun and it would be different type of tank as well:) Variety is always fun in fishkeeping.

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

As I watched the polling results, I realized I was hoping for goldfish to win, so I guess that clarifies where my heart is pulling strongest. Thank you everyone for helping me see what I really wanted! :;hug2

I'm going to move both 55g into the kitty room (our second bedroom is dedicated to the girls' playroom :rolleyes:) and get everything set up tomorrow. I'll post pics of tank and room - I'll probably be really excited about my very first fish room. :animal0028: And pics of my new babies!

Question: I'm going to instant cycle with my filter media (I keep loads of extra stocked for mts needs). How many goldies are necessary to keep the 55g fed but not overwhelmed? I'm not used to their bioload....

7. Thunder Member Member

I don't know the size you are wanting to start out with. If they're small, I think you can start with 2 max for a while and gradually add one at a time until you reach 4. I've had a tank of the same size with 4. I don't really have much luck with them, because they seem to get mysterious illness or death, even tho I do everything right. I'll stick to tropical, since they rarely die on me. lol

I suggest that you have 10x the filtration of the tank. What I did for mine was having several HOB filters and a Fluval 305. Whichever filters you prefer to use, just have the total at least 10x.

I also suggest that you go bare bottom with the tank. It is easier that way, because they are mass waste producer. Rather than dealing with the mess at the bottom, the waste can easily be swept away to the filters.

As for decorating ideas, I suggest having several clear glass bowls (crafts at Walmart sells them) and fill them with colorful marbles. Each bowl can have it own color or mix them however you like. Use fake plants in them.

This is the best setup that I prefer for Goldfish. In the future, I may do it again.

I don't know your water from the tap, but they can basically live well with Prime conditioned water. You don't really need a heater. The filters and lights will somewhat mild the temperature.

I posted a video of the past tank (described above) that you can get an idea watching it. Sorry, I didn't video the complete setup. It was taken right after I was doing heavy cleaning (brown algae war). I did have one bowl left inside you can see.

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the great input Thunder!

Duh! lol. I didn't think to clarify what size they are to begin with. :) The copper one that I've fallen in love with is about 3" from head to tip of tail. I want to get them kinda small so I can watch them grow. I'm going to try and make everyone the same size so no one gets bullied.

I'm going to do 2 aquatech 30-60 HOB filters (total gph about 660).

For decor I'm thinking bare bottom with a few 3-4" river rocks that I have. I may add a big piece of driftwood or something. If I do plants, I'm going to do silk because I'm kinda paranoid about someone poking their eye. I love your idea about marbles in bowls. I'm definitely gonna do that! I forgot I've seen some members do that and I really liked the look.

Thanks again for the reminders. :;hf

9. Thunder Member Member

Their tails doesn't determine their bio loads. Are you sure on the AquaTech filters? I'd prefer other brands with larger media capability.

You may want to reconsider on the driftwood. I've just gotten my first driftwood and upon inspection, I can see that it is a hazard for Goldfish. There are pieces that can poke their eyes out.

Silk plants is really nice. There's only a few plastic plants that is nice.

10. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Yup - I love my aquatechs. They're inexpensive but as effective as my whisper and just as quiet. I use DIY filter media without carbon, so there's plenty of room. :)

I didn't think about the driftwood poking them, but you're right - I don't want to risk it. I'm not used to planning for such injury-prone fishies.

:;thx

11. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't call them injury prone... just unluckily curious :p

12. yukoandk Member Member

Goldfish! You did start the thread under the goldfish section, wink wink!

aquarist48, where's the pic of your fishy...?

13. Thunder Member Member

All this talk about Goldfish make me want to have 8 in my 100-G.

14. kelsangdol Member Member

Goldfish all the way!! :;balloons

15. gremlin Well Known Member Member

I say goldies. But then I'm prejudiced.

16. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

Goldies,Goldies,Goldies!!!!I can't wait to get my 55gallon :)

17. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Goldfish! and I cant wait to see pics :)! I think I am turning my 20g into a goldfish tank when I get my barracks, everyone seems so passionate about their goldies :).

18. samantha.h Member Member

I voted for the goldies! I'm changing my 20 gallon into a goldfish tank. I'm gonna have 2 in there, I'll probably have to upgrade once they're huge though.

What kinds of goldfish were you planning on getting if you end up doing the goldie tank? :)