Goldfish breeding

Peter243243
What do you need to breed Goldfish? (Besides being late Spring/Early Summer.)

Dino
Some times it takes more than a few hours for someone with an answer to see the post.
To breed goldfish, you need fish that are ready to breed and a water temperature warming of below 60F to about 65F.
A great deal of plant matter in the tank or pond will also help keep the adults from eatting the eggs.

As well, the usual perimeters of good food, clean water, proper sized container are also important.

Dino

Stradius011
Breeding Goldfish is a lot of responsibility. They can lay over 2500 eggs! I suggest that you breed guppies first and get more experience and then breed Goldfish. You will need a 20 gallon spawning tank for a pair or a trio for goldfish. After they hatch you will need to move them to a much larger tank (about 55 gallon) You also need to feed goldfish fry live food. For breeding guppies move the female to a 5 gallon tank. After the frys are born move the female guppy to a 2.5 gallon tank for 1 day to regain health before you move her to the main tank. After 1 week move them to a 20 gallon.

Peter243243
2500 EGGS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I should start with guppies but first I need to get guppies. I have more questions now.

1.Do Goldfish and guppies go well together even though the coldwater/freshwater difference is in the way?

2.What temp. will be ok for both at the same time?

3.I have an empty 2 US gallon and a 10 US gallon Goldfish tank, where do you get breeding stuff in New Jersey(and nearby states). I know of Fish factory, BX (MIlitary store), a small pet store, and a huge Aquarium store with other pet stuff too, near a circle (made of road)

4.Should I use the 2 gallon tank for breeding (left to cycle first) or leave it alone.

5.I have no breeding experience (unless you count viritual fish). How many plants per gallon?

6. Should the male guppy be with the female guppy or not?

7. When is guppy breeding season?

Butterfly
Guppys breed all the time they don't come into season. Guppys being livebearers don't breed the same way goldfish do. Goldfish lay eggs.
If you have an extra 10G tank you might move one of your goldfish over to that tank and give them a little more room instead of buying more fish right now . The 2 G isn't really big enough to put fish in.
1. Guppys and goldfish do not go well together. Guppys prefer their water temp in th upper 70's (approx 78F) Gold fish prefer their water 65-70F
2. there isn't a temp they would both be comfortable at together.
3. See above
4.The 2 G isn't big enough for fish. Sorry
5. You really can't get too many plants, there's no need to figure plants per gallon.
6. when breeding guppys it's best to have 1 male and 2 females to keep the male from harrassing the female too much.
7.Guppys don't have a season. They breed all the time.
Carol

Peter243243
Sorry, I only have a 10 gallon tank and a 2 gallon tank.
Only of each but I'm still trying to get a new(hopefully bigger)tank.

Why sell 2 gallon tanks if fish can't live in them?

Butterfly
I'm sorry I must have mis-read #3, I thought you were saying you had a 2G and a 10G empty
The LFS will tell you that you can put fish in a tank that small, and will sell you the tank and fish for it and when they die they will sell you more etc. but it is not big enough for fish. It would be pretty with some plants and maybe a pretty snail.
Carol

Nieveso
MY 2 blackmoore goldfish have got a lot of bubbles on the surface of their tank around the rI'm and this morning they were crowding around them and making a churning sound they are both fat and have a large bulge in only one area of their bellys but I only got them 3 months ago so I don't know why this is happining unless they are making a bubble nest what do you think????
SANY0148.jpg BATMAN FTW!!!!!

JoannaB
Goldfish do not make bubblenests. This may be useful information for you (I copied this from ) "Oftentimes, fishkeepers would notice their goldfish coming up to the surface of the tank or bowl appearing to be blowing bubbles. Others would think their fish is hungry, or trying to make bubble nests, or even playing around. When you see this behaviour in your goldfish, it is actually an indication that it is need of more air. A goldfish is very sensitive to oxygen shortage, and gasping for air at the water’s surface (‘blowing bubbles’) is the quickest way to express their distress.,

soltarianknight
Yup, you will se goldfish in bowls do this a lot. What kind of set up do you have them in? Add and airstone or up the filter output.

Nieveso
I don't have many filters so I have to rotate them around my tanks so I'll add an airstone too

Echostatic
Each tank really needs its own filter, especially goldfish tanks since they produce so much waste. What size tank is this?

Nieveso
They're in a really small 20L tank they eat their own waste (ewww and lol) but seiriosly theyre soo gross but really cool

JoannaB
Yes, please do read the article in the link provided above. Goldfish are one of the most abused fish ever. They can live a long time and are very intelligent fish, but many people keep them in conditions that are inappropriate for them, and thus they live very short and miserable lives. Goldfish need a much bigger aquarium than what you are providing them, and they do not eat their own waste (at least they are not supposed to).

Nieveso
I'm going to move then into a much bigger tank right away

soltarianknight
Yeah, sorry for such an abrupt awakening, I thought you should at least be told though. May contribute the breathing issue. Weve all made mistakes though, the best we can do is make it up to the fish, and start better next time.

Its also very heavily argued that depending on your fish, you probably want a 40gal tank(or a 40breeder) for 2 goldfish.

Echostatic
They would be much happer for it

Aquarist
Good morning,

I have moved your thread from Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates to Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates/Cyprinids (Includes Goldfish) Goldfish section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

HappyKnitter
Poor Girls ... I had to put them in a tank with Hugh...He is non stop . There is another male in the tank the little lionchu but I don't think he got the hang of it yet.. I think that Ms.Sherbert is egg bound , her belly is rounder in one side more than the other, I might have to help her out....Ms.Clementine seems to like Hugh.

Here is Hugh working the room..

poeticinjustices
Haha what a playa!

I feel a little bad for those girls breeding behavior can be so rough on the female and they are only just beginning to heal. Is your cycle doing okay with those 2 big additions to your tank?

HappyKnitter
Every couple of days I vacuum the rocks I take about 2 gallons out. The tank it is pretty much stable. Knocking on wood .

poeticinjustices
Hey that's awesome congrats!

Rivieraneo
Happyknitter, I suggest you swish or rinse out your filter media once a week in old tank water so your filters don't start becoming nitrate monsters. Organic matter builds up fast with Goldie's.

And nooo.... That brown goey stuff you're swishing out isn't BB it's just poo and food. Your BB is microscopic.

HappyKnitter
Happyknitter, I suggest you swish or rinse out your filter media once a week in old tank water so your filters don't start becoming nitrate monsters. Organic matter builds up fast with Goldie's.

And nooo.... That brown goey stuff you're swishing out isn't BB it's just poo and food. Your BB is microscopic.

LOL...Yeah I do do that with my filter media ..I have double on the 2oo ..and single on the 100...The only gross thing is they eat each others poo then spit it out YUCK ..but it makes it up the filter better..I had baby goldies once, They did not make it ..by the time I notice them they got eaten.. I had dojos in the tank.. they were from a ryukin and a moor..

poeticinjustices
I can't believe they made it out of egg-phase. My aunts goldies snack on it the moment her female releases them (she has 6 in a tank and only one is female, the poor thing, she's going to have to separate them because it's exhausting her having 5 boys on her).

Ehh...mine do the poo thing too. Sometimes before it's even dropped out of the other. Super gross, seriously, but I like your reasoning that it makes it up the filter better haha.

HappyKnitter
I guess they made it by hiding in the river rocks .They were in a 55 gal lots of plants .But when I notice so did my 2 dojos and by the time I got something to put them in I could not find them anymore. I went as far as putting all the goldies and dojos in a bucket with tank water , airstone for about 30 min to see if they come out of hiding , I did a good vacumming but no fishies.

poeticinjustices
Oh I'm sorry to hear that Pretty amazing still, between the fish and filter that the little guys survived, I'm pretty impressed?

At what age/size to fancy females start carrying eggs anyway? Mine are young, 2 inches and under, but I could swear I saw some breeding behavior. No eggs though.

HappyKnitter
I have been trying to get some info on that ..Been going over the books I have .I know the big girls are over 3 years old but I have the little redcap that the boys been going after her too . She is all of 1 1/2 inches including tail. She has not grown at all. She is my favorite. she has energy to spare and not afraid of the big ones. She is my water Nymph..lol

Rivieraneo
Spawning maturity is usually reached at 2 years.

poeticinjustices
I have been trying to get some info on that ..Been going over the books I have .I know the big girls are over 3 years old but I have the little redcap that the boys been going after her too . She is all of 1 1/2 inches including tail. She has not grown at all. She is my favorite. she has energy to spare and not afraid of the big ones. She is my water Nymph..lol

I have one of those too, Lola. An interesting oranda. She's all metallic white, so much so she's translucent. I can actually see green peas in her throat from the outside when I feed her. Started developing some calico on her tail shortly after I brought her home. She's littler than the rest, doesn't quite have the round oranda body and her wen, which is that translucent yellow, is barely there at all. It doesn't want to grow.

She's a sneaky little fish and probably the toughest of the bunch. I noticed her fins getting nipped at during feeding time in a big way. I later learned she was kind of asking for it because she steals everyone's food then floats around the tank for an hour trying to choke it all down. But she never appeared bothered by it one bit. Thankfully, they aren't picking on her anymore. She seems to be a real soldier. She tore her fin on that decoration and 2 days later it's 50% healed up. I didn't even think that was possible. She's a tough one, always moving around and getting into trouble. She likes to peck at the airline tubing I think there may be a cloudy film on it she finds tasty. I'll have to do some cleaning at the 14 day mark which I just cannot wait for.

I hope Motley proves as resilient. She may have a little bit of fin rot on her belly fins. But I'm not completely sure. She's just the sweetest thing, so gentle, and I hope that once the 14 days are up some solid tank maintenance will be sufficient to fix those frayed/torn belly fins. I'm just not sure if it's actually fin rot. There's no milky white or red discoloration but it doesn't really look like a clean tear either. Definitely frayed/worn. And those fins are so hard to inspect it's even more frustrating. I'm hoping it's either from the rocks I removed, Rex picking on her last week or maybe she has had it since I brought her home (she was in a tank with MUCH larger fish at the LPS she came from) and that it's not actually fin rot yet. I'd rather go preventative than treatment.

I'll feel much better when they're all moved to the 75g. It's just going to take a few weeks.

HappyKnitter
Hugh is at it again..

I had to take poor Clemintine out of the tank after this shot They Hugh and Heff would not stop . I feel so sorry for her she still does not have her full use of fins so she really can swim to get away from them .she is getting bounced around and her tail looks damaged again .I have her in her bucket with some Stress Coat+.and tank water.. I have my QT tank but no heater yet and the temp in there is 68* her bucket is with tank water was at 76*..I'll wait till her bucket water gets to 68* before I would put her in QT. I guess I don't have to feed them this morning they are having eggs this morning..I just have to do is another WC.

eggs.jpg

poeticinjustices
God that poor thing. If you decide to hand-spawn her so she doesn't get impacted, Amquel Plus claims to remove the pheromones from the water that trigger breeding behavior. I have an almost new bottle of it I can't use because it drops my pH. Poor girl they are really on her.

Those eggs are stuck...do you see any polar bodies in them? If you do, pull them out and see if you can get them to hatch

By the way, did you name the lionchu Heff after I made the Hugh Heffner comment or was that his name before hand? Cause that would be hilarious.

HappyKnitter
God that poor thing. If you decide to hand-spawn her so she doesn't get impacted, Amquel Plus claims to remove the pheromones from the water that trigger breeding behavior. I have an almost new bottle of it I can't use because it drops my pH. Poor girl they are really on her.

Those eggs are stuck...do you see any polar bodies in them? If you do, pull them out and see if you can get them to hatch

By the way, did you name the lionchu Heff after I made the Hugh Heffner comment or was that his name before hand? Cause that would be hilarious.

No eggs saved ..they ate them I do another WC to the ones that fell through the rocks ..It has calm down now ..I named the boys a soon I saw the breeding stars on them ..Hugh was named after my husband Hugh Jackman ... and Heff seems like a little old man sometimes not so rough on her..lol Yeah I laught when you mention that...

poeticinjustices
No eggs saved ..they ate them I do another WC to the ones that fell through the rocks ..It has calm down now ..I named the boys a soon I saw the breeding stars on them ..Hugh was named after my husband Hugh Jackman ... and Heff seems like a little old man sometimes not so rough on her..lol Yeah I laught when you mention that...

Haha what a funny coincidence.

Hugh Jackman. You crack me up.

ProtimAquatics
2 weeks ago I saw my male goldfish chasing the female goldfish.Is it a mating behaviour. Also I noticed that they have some pimples on their gills.Is it normal?

TexasDomer
Can you get a picture of their gills?

Five 97
Usually, male goldfish will develop white pimples around their gills around breeding time, but a picture would confirm...

ProtimAquatics
TexasDomer and Five 97 , I am out of station . So I can't post a picture. But definetly I will post a picture when I return home.

After research I saw that the pimples are same with the other mature goldfish.
Maybe they will give some eggs.

image.jpg

Here it is.

This is the best I captured. He is a restless guy.

@ and @ any ideas from the pictures ?
Looks to me like tubercles.

TexasDomer
Looks normal to me!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views
Tayls
Top Bottom