Goldfish breeding???

1. N

Nieveso New Member Member

MY 2 blackmoore goldfish have got alot of bubbles on the surface of their tank around the rim and this morning they were crowding around them and making a churning sound they are both fat and have a large bulge in only one area of their bellys but i only got them 3 months ago so i dont know why this is happining unless they are making a bubble nest what do you think???? SANY0148.jpg :;batman BATMAN FTW!!!!!

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Goldfish do not make bubblenests. This may be useful information for you (I copied this from http://www.fish-fl.com/why-is-my-goldfish-blowing-bubbles/) "Oftentimes, fishkeepers would notice their goldfish coming up to the surface of the tank or bowl appearing to be blowing bubbles. Others would think their fish is hungry, or trying to make bubble nests, or even playing around. When you see this behaviour in your goldfish, it is actually an indication that it is need of more air. A goldfish is very sensitive to oxygen shortage, and gasping for air at the water’s surface (‘blowing bubbles’) is the quickest way to express their distress.,

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yup, you will se goldfish in bowls do this a lot. What kind of set up do you have them in? Add and airstone or up the filter output.

4. OP
    OP
    N

I don't have many filters so I have to rotate them around my tanks so I'll add an airstone too

5. E

Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Each tank really needs its own filter, especially goldfish tanks since they produce so much waste. What size tank is this?

6. OP
    OP
    N

They're in a really small 20L tank they eat their own waste (ewww and lol) but seiriosly theyre soo gross but really cool

7. soltarianknight

8. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Yes, please do read the article in the link provided above. Goldfish are one of the most abused fish ever. They can live a long time and are very intelligent fish, but many people keep them in conditions that are inappropriate for them, and thus they live very short and miserable lives. Goldfish need a much bigger aquarium than what you are providing them, and they do not eat their own waste (at least they are not supposed to).

9. OP
    OP
    N

im going to move then into a much bigger tank right away :O

10. soltarianknight

Yeah, sorry for such an abrupt awakening, i thought you should at least be told though. May contribute the breathing issue. Weve all made mistakes though, the best we can do is make it up to the fish, and start better next time.

Its also very heavily argued that depending on your fish, you probably want a 40gal tank(or a 40breeder) for 2 goldfish.

11. E

Echostatic Well Known Member Member

They would be much happer for it :)

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates to Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates/Cyprinids (Includes Goldfish) Goldfish section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken