Goldfish Breathing At Top Of Tank

Dchick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve got a 60l tank with two goldfish in. I know it should be slightly larger and will hopefully upgrade soon. I change the water weekly about 10-20% and they’ve been fine for about 3 months. The last few days they’ve been breathing at the surface and one has his dorsal fin flat. I’ve done a 50% change this morning and vacuumed the substrate.levels seem ok from two tests I’ve done. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Erupto35

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I suppose they could just be stressed. If the tests come back good that's a good sign, clean water is the most important thing, although as you obviously already know, the larger tank would help keep it that way How big are the fish right now? My goldfish are a little cramped too but usually return to normal behavior after water change returns parameters to normal, but they're juveniles. Maybe try rearranging the tank decor in the meantime ao they have something else to focus on besides bumbing into their neighbors? :)

I presume you use water conditioner when adding new water?

Dchick

Reaction score
Yeah I use a conditioner, I’ve just taken a sample to a local shop. Slightly high ammonia and nitrite. Could be over feeding, they suggested going to once every couple of days. I also have quite a few live plants which they nibble on much to my disapproval

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
are they fancy or single tail? how big are they?

what filter are you using?

use Prime if you have ammonia and nitrite.

60L is about 15gallons. so you're overstocked and really need to do much larger 75% weekly water changes, or two 50% water changes per week.

Dchick

Reaction score
Skavatar said:
are they fancy or single tail? how big are they?
They are single tail and about 6cm, I know i should have a bigger tank and will be looking at changing it

what filter are you using? Filter is a fluVal U1 with sponge

use Prime if you have ammonia and nitrite.

60L is about 15gallons. so you're overstocked and really need to do much larger 75% weekly water changes, or two 50% water changes per week.
Ok, I’ve been doing smaller changes up to know and they’ve been ok with it, do you think because of the size increase they need larger changes...?

thanks

Erupto35

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ah, my apologies, I was skimming and read that as 60g! Case of the weekend eyes

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are getting ammonia and nitrite readings then you have major issues and that is why they are gasping as the surface. Either the tank has lost it’s cycle or it simply cant keep up with the bioload, which wouldn’t be too surprising if they are larger goldies as they produce a huge amount of waste.

Do larger water changes and upgrade sooner rather than later. Dose Prime in the meantime and feed lightly.

Dchick

Reaction score
Thanks for coming back to me, Wouldn’t doing larger water changes increase the chance of losing the cycle as the bacteria built up would constantly be replaced?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bacteria live mainly in the filter and substrate so no worries there. There is no use for old tank water other than to water the plants.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your cycle is being maintained by your filter for the most part. Just don't touch it while you're doing large water changes. To put it in perspective, I have a 46 gallon tank (around 174l), and I do a weekly 70 percent water change. (I have 3 smallish fancy goldfish in the aquarium).

ETA:

When I have time, I also do a supplemental water change mid-week of around 50 percent.

Dchick

Reaction score
Ok, so I also cleaned the filter when I did the water change as the flow had slowed right down.

I cleaned it in the water I removed from the tank

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dchick said:
They are single tail and about 6cm, I know i should have a bigger tank and will be looking at changing it
Filter is a fluVal U1 with sponge
Ok, I’ve been doing smaller changes up to know and they’ve been ok with it, do you think because of the size increase they need larger changes...?
like others have said the bacteria is in the filter media, just take a bucket of old tank water when you do water changes and swish them out to get rid of the poop and muck.

I have used the Fluval U3 (bigger than the U1) they are good filters, but yes you need a significantly larger tank and larger filter for single tail gold fish, like 55 gallon (240L) or larger.

at 6cm thats almost 3inches long. they'll be ok for the next few weeks, but they'll quickly out grow the current tank within a few months.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom