Goldfish Bottom Sitting Help

1. A

ASquidabs0727 Well Known Member Member

One of my common goldfish is bottom sitting. They recently had parasites and I just finished treatment (API General Cure) I did a water change yesterday and ammonia and nitrite are both 0. I added new carbon. What is causing this? Im guessing from the stress that the parasites put on it. It's also been thundering pretty loud where I live so maybe the noise is stressing him out? He immediately stops and swims around when I'm by the tank.

2. GoldFiska

GoldFiska Well Known Member Member

Do you have a nitrate reading?

3. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Depends, how long have your been doing the treatment? Are you sure that your done with the treatment? How long has the goldfish had parasites?

4. OP
    OP
    A

It was a 6 day treatment. You had to dose it, wait 48 hours, dose again, and then do a water change and add new carbon 48 hours later. I followed the directions correctly. I'm not sure how long they have had parasites. I noticed white, string poop about 8 days ago but today I notice short, brown healthy poop.

5. OP
    OP
    A

10-20ppm

6. Fashooga

I think the box recommends 2-3 treatments to rid of the parasites. But if the parasite is worse you would need to do more treatments. I have a JD that had parasites and I had to treat him 4 times before she was finally pooping brown.

If you are noticing brown poo I would keep an eye on it and see how it eats.

7. OP
    OP
    A

It has an amazing appetite and is eating as normal. I saw brown poop on the other goldfish in its tank but haven't seen his particular goldfish pooping. Is he dieing?

8. Fashooga

It's quite possible that his parasite problem is much more worse and may require additional treatments.

If you experienced a cough and you want it gone you would take a cough medicine. But you would follow instructions of two tea spoons every 4 hours. You wouldn't stop taking it if you still were coughing right?

9. OP
    OP
    A

I have 5 packets of API General Cure but I need 6 whyyyyy? I'll order more asap. I don't see anywhere on the box that says it's safe to another full round of treatment. Are you sure it's safe to do so? @Fashooga View attachment 450569 Also every time I feed it (about 6pm everyday) he perks up and doesn't bottom sit for the rest of the night but in the morning he goes back to bottom sitting.