Goldfish Bent And Not Swimming Help

1. S

Stevicus New Member Member

Hi,
    I need some help. One of my daughter's fish seems to be dying. It's barely moving, stuck on the bottom and barely breathing. It's body is curved to the side. Gill seems to be 'open'? Seems to be kinda flared out and does not move much. I looked for white or red spots, but nothing was telltale. I had noticed some black markings on the face, but was told since it was still a baby, the color change was normal. We had a small heat way Sunday and Monday, so the tank temp got up to 72-74ish.
    Specs...
    2 common goldfish. Young, we've had them for about 6 weeks. Tank set up on 4/7.
    40G breeder, gravel, live plants, stingray light, penguin 200 filter. Tank is not cycled. Weekly water changes. I use Prime and Stability. Filter media has not been removed, cleaned, etc.
    API Master... Current readings: 0.25 ammonia, 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite. Weekly water changes. I do have algae.
    Feeding schedule was suggested by a coworker, said he has had many aquariums. Feed every 7 days, then 6, then 5, then 4, then 3(in an effort to control ammonia spikes).

I've moved the sick fish into a bowl with some peeled peas for the moment. If I've left anything out, please let me know.

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

You can’t go a week without water changes in an uncycled tank. Keep using the Prime and do daily water changes. How long has it been since you last did a water change? Sounds like he is being poisoned although the ammonia is not that high right now. He won’t survive in the bowl more than likely. Put him in a Rubbermaid plastic tote. . They make great hospital tanks. Make sure he has a filter and air stone. Keep us posted. Use the Prime daily after water change until tank cycles. The feeding schedule seems a little strange to me also. He is critical right now. Good luck. I’m sure you know that Common goldfish real have to eventually go to a pond as they grow over 12” in length. Let’s see if he survives first. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

3. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Well Known Member Member

It could be suffering from ammonia poisoning since there's a measurable amount of ammonia in the tank. I dont really understand the feeding schedule suggested, as the ammonia will more then likely largely come from the fish waste unless you're overfeeding them and lots of uneaten food is on the tank substrate. Are you Gravel Vacuuming when you do water changes?
    Ultimately I would really follow the instructions on the Stability bottle. You can cycle the tank with this product while the goldfish are in the tank but need to follow the instructions on the bottle.

I would mainly recommend very clean water with water changes much more frequently with Prime and follow the Stability instructions to do a Fish-In Cycle.

4. OP
    OP
    S

The previous water change was Sunday evening, ~20%. When I got the message about the fish today, I did a 50% when I came home. The highest ammonia reading I've tested is .50. I test the water every 2-3 days. Sometime last week I noticed it was head down and not swimming, but started swimming again after just a couple minutes.

5. Sergeant Pepper

Clean water with prime could save the fish. Does the fish have clamped fins? Do you have pictures of the fish?

6. OP
    OP
    S

Correct, the ammonia comes from uneaten food, or waste. Therefore, less food = less waste. The Stability directions have been followed exactly.
    Yes, I'm using a gravel vacuum. Although, I think it was this past change, where I finally got the hang of it.

7. Goldiemom

Although the ammonia is not that high, prolonged exposure to the ammonia may be beginning to show its affects.

8. Sergeant Pepper

How long have you been using Stability? Adding it daily I'm guessing according to the tank size. Personally I think a lot of the fish's behavior is from the exposure to ammonia for an extended amount of time.

9. Goldiemom

Feeding less is not how to control ammonia. Water changes are the only proper way to do so. Please don’t feel anyone is scolding you as you didn’t know. We are just trying to get everything on the right track and save your little Goldie. Again, good luck!

10. OP
    OP
    S

20180516_185949.jpg 20180516_185932.jpg
    I hope this works.

Thanks for the help.

11. Goldiemom

I know this sounds crazy, but do another water change tonight with the Prime if you think the fish can handle it. Sometimes a couple of back to backs will show some improvement.

@Gypsy13 , do you have any suggestions?

12. OP
    OP
    S

I'm not feeling scolded, but I appreciate the concern. I don't want to come off wrong or unappreciative, so respectfully, we will have to agree to disagree. While, I agree that water changes are the only way to reduce ammonia, without the source, the produced amount is lessened.

As for Stability, delivered April 14, so using since April 14. I followed the directions on the bottle: daily for 7 days, then monthly or with each water change.

Really? So, do you think it's safe to move the sick fish back into the large tank? How long should I wait? I did the change about 2.5hrs ago.

13. Sergeant Pepper

When I used stability to cycle my Betta Tank, I added it daily for 2-3 weeks. Water changes often and eventually you don't have to use it anymore once you're readings are 0,0, (measurable Nitrates)
    You would think that you would be cycled by now, but I'm not a cycling expert by any means.

14. Goldiemom

I agree that the amount is lessened. There’s no denying that. However, is it the right thing to do? Would you not feed a baby as much to prevent having to change so many diapers?

15. OP
    OP
    S

Haha...you got me there. The best I can offer is...they can survive up to 2 weeks without eating. It was a recommendation that seemed logical.

I just don't want my kid's fish to die, and its seeming like I messed up. I researched, and researched, and read all about not letting ammonia levels get above 1ppm. So I figured with the amount being so low, weekly changes were ok (assuming the ammonia exposure is the culprit). However, now I'm wondering if I need to up the Stability dosage, or change brands. I sent Seachem an email, we'll see how they respond.

Thanks again for your help.

16. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

My 2 cents. Where did you get the goldies? Were they feeder fish? If you’d shown me a picture of just that little guy, that’s what I would assume. He does not look like a healthy “pet” fish but something out of the feeder tank.

17. Goldiemom

You know, I was lying here thinking about this. I think your tank hasn’t cycled because you’ve been working so hard to keep the ammonia down. You need to let it build up in order to get your nitrites started. I think that’s why you don’t have any nitrites yet. When we do fishless cycles, we up the ammonia to between 2.0 and 4.0. When it drops to .25 or less, we dose the ammonia back up again to the 2.0 to 4.0. Eventually, this feeds and makes the nitrites. Then the nitrites grow and make the nitrates. So it looks like you haven’t had enough ammonia source to get the cycle started. So let the ammonia increase to 2.0 while continuing to use the Prime daily to detoxify the ammonia...and please, feed your fish. Lol. I think you’ll see this help. Please read on fish in cycling and the nitrogen cycle. It probably feels overwhelming right now but will come natural once you do it. Good luck! Again, the Prime will protect the fish while all of this is going on but it has to be dosed daily. If the ammonia goes over 2.0, then do a partial water change to bring it back down. Fingers crossed!

18. OP
    OP
    S

One of the fish was from a magic show...fish from fire trick. So I can't tell you the origin, but that's the one that is still swimming, with no signs of issues. The one that is sick came from Petco(is naming allowed here?). I don't know about a feeder tank, or how I would tell that. It was tank with a ton of others in it.

Goldiemom, I don't recall seeing an answer...do you think it's safe to move the sick fish back into the main tank?

19. Goldiemom

It was more than likely A feeder fish. Often times they are inbred and not the cream of the crop. That being said, I actually buy them for my pond just to rescue them. They normally do fine if the water parameters are good. Get that tank cycled and things will improve.

I personally think he has a better chance in there than in the bowl. Just dose with the Prime to detoxify the ammonia. The ammonia will still be there for the cycle, it just won’t be toxic to the fish. The ammonia turns into ammonium which is less harmful to the fish.

20. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Ok. Sorry I’m late to the thread. This poor goldfish is not doing well. As Goldiemom and 2211nighthawk pointed out, you need way more water changes and please please feed these fish. If you don’t have a quarantine tank set up, I’d go ahead and put it back in the main tank. If you don’t have snails add a little aquarium salt. Follow the directions. At the very least, change the water daily. At least 30-40%. If this fish survives, you’ll be going through the cycle and things will get better. But please feed them. Every day. Keep us posted? Please?