Goldfish Are Averse To Lights

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Bearwithfish, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

Some time ago my wife started leaving the lights off on her tank (probably about 3-4 months ago). now when we turn them on to the normal lighting setting the hang out at the bottom of the tank and stop moving.

I think they just got too accustomed to the dark. I am now leaving the lights on in the lowest setting and in another week or two I will start cycling the full power lights on in 15-30 minute intervals and lengthen the duration every 2-3 days.

What are your thoughts on this?

Oh by the way there are 3 goldfish in a 40 breeder.

2. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Strange. The light helps with their color so should be on for at least 8 hours a day. Could it be something else. What are your water parameters and what type of goldfish?

3. OP
    OP
    Bearwithfish

Bearwithfish Valued Member Member

3 fancy (not sure of exact names). I agree. I am not 100% sure why she initially turned them off. But I am working on getting them back on a schedule. since my tanks will have a timer I would like to set one for hers as well. Once the fish are acclimated of course

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Assuming the tank is not in a brightly lit area, can you try maybe first introducing more ambient light before lighting the tank up? Maybe open the curtains to let the sunlight in. Get the fish used to that for a few days, then start introducing the lamp again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice