Goldfish and Weather loaches?

1. N

Neco the Pleco New Member Member

I have a 75 gallon tank, its usually around 65 degrees. Ph of 6.5-7, canister filter and drip/overflow system of .5 gallons an hour. There is some flow, but its not overwhelming. It has a bubblator, and 2-3 millmeter gravel, as well as a mix of real and plastic plants, and several hiding places.

Would a weather loach get along with the shubunkin goldfish and be happy with this set-up? What about a common/comet(wouldn't it get to big)?

2. g

guppylover321 New Member Member

Goldfish are dirtier fish and they cause many diseises for tropical fish. You shouldn't mix them together.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What diseases do you speak of? In my experience that is not the case at all. Furthermore, dojo loaches are not "tropical" fish.

Dojos are an excellent choice to go with goldfish. They are social fish so you should get as many as you can.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Dojo loaches are cooler water fish and that temp would be fine if slowly acclimated as most LFS keep them at warmer temps.

Dojo Loaches like other loaches need to be kept in a group. They will be more active in a group and you will see them more often.

My concern with this set up is that the dojos might not get enough to eat as goldfish eat from the surface and it's hard at times to get food down to the Dojos.
    Dojos also need really clean water. Goldfish can be really dirty because of producing so much waste but that can be managed by the aquarist and how they do partial water changes. and the really clean water won't hurt the goldfish either :)
    Carol

5. Jaysee

In my experience goldfish eat food, no matter where it is. Feeding small sinking pellets will ensure that all the fish get their share, and it's not a bad thing to make the goldfish work (forage) for their meal.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sinking pellets are an excellent idea :) My dojos don't eat at all the levels as everybody else so I have to make sure some food gets to the bottom :)
    Carol

7. Jaysee

I only feed NLS thera A (sinking pellet) so all the fish eat from the bottom, and because I feed small pellets they all have an equal opportunity to get their share. You can see in my avatar how small the pellets are for the size of the fish.

8. OP
    OP
    N

Neco the Pleco New Member Member

Thanks for all the answers! I was wondering- when I have fed my other goldfish, I usually give them slow-sinking pellets or small pieces of boiled zucchini/broccoli. They ate it as it floated down, but left what sank to the bottom alone for a while. Would this give the loach enough opportunity to eat? Do they come immediately to the food, or does it take a while for them to notice it?

Also- would it be a good idea to give them tubifex worms too? My goldfish get that as a treat.

9. Jaysee

The loaches will immediately start eating, once they know the routine.