Goldfish and Plecos

• Thread starter James95
  • Start date

James95

Well Known
HI all,

I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 goldfish. The tank has been set up since 2006 and formerly housed my blood parrots cichlids before I upgraded them to a new 65g tank. I added the 5 goldfish to the tank about a month ago... 2 comets and 3 fantails. Recently, algae really started to take over the tank so I added a 4 1/2" common pleco. I didn't realize that goldfish and plecos were incompatible due to the fact that sometimes plecos have been known to suck on the goldfish's slime. I'm now paranoid about the goldfish getting hurt. Does anyone have experience successfully housing the two species together?

If not, I feel like I have three options:
1.) trade in the pleco and keep the goldfish
2.) trade in the goldfish, keep the pleco, and add my small tropicals from my 10 gallon to the 55 gallon (which are compatible with the pleco).
3.) Keep the goldfish in my 55 gallon move the pleco to my 65g cichlid tank (could he peacefully coexist with my blood parrots? They are my most prized fish).

I'm not really a fan of either option but I don't want any fish to get harmed Any advice or input is welcomed!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
I would, actually remove the two common goldfish, and the pleco, and leave the tank with just the fantails. The pleco will get too large for the 65 gallon, as well.

You could also rehome the whole lot in the 55 and move your other fish the smaller tanks to it.

James95

Well Known
Akari_32 said:
I would, actually remove the two common goldfish, and the pleco, and leave the tank with just the fantails. The pleco will get too large for the 65 gallon, as well.

You could also rehome the whole lot in the 55 and move your other fish the smaller tanks to it.
Okay, thanks for the input AkarI

I like the goldies but feel like they're eventually going to outgrow the tank anyway-- along with the pleco. Maybe it would be best to just re-home the whole crowd. What would you personally do? Keep the fantails?

I think the 55 would make a beautiful planted forest with lots of little fish like my platies and mollies. It's quite tempting

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
You're talking to someone with more than a dozen goldfish. I'll let you figure out what *I'd* do It's your tank though, and you have to look at it

James95

Well Known
Akari_32 said:
You're talking to someone with more than a dozen goldfish. I'll let you figure out what *I'd* do It's your tank though, and you have to look at it
Point well taken.

I don't know anymore... I love the goldies and the pleco equally. He would grow up into a really cool looking, big fish. The goldies are awesome too. Would the goldies do well in a container pond during the summer months? For the pleco alone, how big of a permanent home would I need?

ZombieKeepr

Well Known
Honestly, I vote for reducing the bioload a bit, but as far as plecos go ... my friend has a 65gal tank with something like a 13 year old common pleco in with was once 3 goldfish until they got fish TB[which the last one has recovered from just like Plecy]. They've never had any issues being together and at this point, she probably couldn't ever part with her pleco even tho it's "ill-advised"[by most people's standards] to keep him in the 65.

Honestly, it's your tank and comes down to what you want to do ... and obviously fish aren't gonna last forever so you could even change the bioload in time.

James95

Well Known
Haha that's funny you posted the link to Robyn's page. That's so cool that you're friend's with her! I love seeing all her pics and learning from her experience. She is a truly invaluable resource! I remember reading that way back when she had problems with Plecy sucking on other fish in his tank. Maybe I'll just see how it goes.

Then again... part of me just wants to trade in all my fish and get another pair of Blood Parrots! I'm so indecisive

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
I'd say 100+ gallons for the pleco, but you have to make sure it's got a wide foot print, wide enough for the fish to comfortably turn around. The three goldfish need 55 gallons to themselves, but larger is better. You could upgrade the fish your 65 to something large enough for them and the pleco, and then move the goldfish to the 65. Your mollies and platies would be fine with the goldfish, as well.

James95

Well Known
Akari_32 said:
I'd say 100+ gallons for the pleco, but you have to make sure it's got a wide foot print, wide enough for the fish to comfortably turn around. The three goldfish need 55 gallons to themselves, but larger is better. You could upgrade the fish your 65 to something large enough for them and the pleco, and then move the goldfish to the 65. Your mollies and platies would be fine with the goldfish, as well.
Oh heck no! Lol. There's no way I'm buying a 100+ gallon tank for a $8 fish.

I guess I'll end up re-homing him. I will leave the 65g as is, and figure out a plan to renovate the 55 gallon into some other type of tank. Maybe a big community tank would be nice...

junebug

Fishlore Legend
You got a pleco, a non algae eating fish, to eat algae? o_O

If you need an algae eater, rehome the pleco to a nice pond and get some nerite snails.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
That's what you get for buying with out researching!

James95

Well Known
junebug said:
You got a pleco, a non algae eating fish, to eat algae? o_O

If you need an algae eater, rehome the pleco to a nice pond and get some nerite snails.
That's funny. Because so far he's completely cleared my glass of all algae. He's currently cleaning my decorations... So yeah. Pretty sure he eats algae. Lol

James95

Well Known
Akari_32 said:
That's what you get for buying with out researching!
You're right! Lol. I thought a 55 gallon was a safe bet. Oh well! Haha

junebug

Fishlore Legend
James95 said:
That's funny. Because so far he's completely cleared my glass of all algae. He's currently cleaning my decorations... So yeah. Pretty sure he eats algae. Lol
Plecos are omnivorous, especially common plecos, with a heavy emphasis on meat in their diet. If yours is small, he'll eat algae for a little while, but he'll stop as he gets older and will add to the bioload of your tank in a bad way. These fish produce tons of waste and, as was already mentioned, need at least 100 gallons of water to live in. (this is all aside from the issue of him eventually sucking the slime coat off your fish)

James95

Well Known
junebug said:
Plecos are omnivorous, especially common plecos, with a heavy emphasis on meat in their diet. If yours is small, he'll eat algae for a little while, but he'll stop as he gets older and will add to the bioload of your tank in a bad way. These fish produce tons of waste and, as was already mentioned, need at least 100 gallons of water to live in. (this is all aside from the issue of him eventually sucking the slime coat off your fish)
I'm well aware of all these future issues. You're not telling me anything I didn't already know. For now, he is in fact doing what I wanted-- cleaning up the algae. I think it's a stretch to call him a "non algae eating fish".

Just because he's not solely a herbivore doesn't mean he won't eat some algae. Omnivores consume both animal/protein matter AND plant matter. If he didn't eat any plant matter than he would be considered a carnivore, which he's not.

ZombieKeepr

Well Known
Junebug, my 5 year old common plec completely cleaned every spec of algae out of my 10gal in less then a week. He'll attack algae wafers and I've never actually seen one that's refused to devour algae. Chinese algae eaters, clown plecos, BN plecos -- sure[even tho my BNs never really stopped] but commons are good algae eaters ... they just get way too big for most tanks.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
If you still want a pleco for the tank, bristlenoses are great for that. (In fact, I have a male I want to get rid of if you want him!)

Kiara1125

Well Known
In my experience, plecos eat algae. I've had a common, bristlenoses, a rubberlip, and clown plecos. They've eaten algae much more than things like shrimp pellets and other protein matter. At least it's a fish in which eats algae (and is what it's doing) instead of something like a chinese algae eater, which are mainly carnivorous.

James95

Well Known
Akari_32 said:
If you still want a pleco for the tank, bristlenoses are great for that. (In fact, I have a male I want to get rid of if you want him!)
Thank you, Akari!

I literally have no idea what I'm doing with the tank at this point. But when I do figure it out I may take you up on that offer! Lol

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
You better decide quick because he's being extremely aggressive to my sailfin pleco and tearing her to shreds (and she's twice his size!). If he does much more damage, he'll be living at the lfs LOL He doesn't bother the other fish (goldfish) though, and he is such a looker. I would much rather see him go to a forum member than the pet shop.

James95

Well Known
Akari_32 said:
You better decide quick because he's being extremely aggressive to my sailfin pleco and tearing her to shreds (and she's twice his size!). If he does much more damage, he'll be living at the lfs LOL He doesn't bother the other fish (goldfish) though, and he is such a looker.
Sheesh! Sounds like quite the feisty little guy! I think I'll pass

Kiara1125

Well Known
Akari, you better decide quick on if you wanna keep him or not. lol Do you have another tank for him?

James, I'm glad your pleco is doing such a good job. If Plecy is fine in a 65g, I'm pretty sure yours will be just fine.

James95

Well Known
Thanks, Kiara! I'm sure he'll be fine for a while. At least until he gets a bit bigger!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
As long as there's no one on the bottom with him, he's good. He's just very bold. I think he needs a little "action" *cough*cough* He only bothers the other pleco. Doesn't pay attention to the goldfish or platies at all.

I don't have another tank for him. My only other tank large enough has a breeding pair in there, and I don't want him to tear up my long finned male. I need time to go to the lfs when they're open and see if he'll take him lol

James95

Well Known
On a totally different note... I'm also thinking about replacing my canister filters. I have two eheim classics. A 2215 (164gph, rated up to 96 gallons) on the 65g and a 2213 (116gph, rated up to 66 gallons) on the 55g. I feel like another brand of canister could do a much better job with a higher flow rate!

I'm looking into the rena filstars and the fluval 06 series

Kiara1125

Well Known
Ooooh, Akari, you better watch out! xD Hopefully he won't give your girl too much trouble though. I'll take him! I've always wanted a male BN. I'm stuck with a female albino right now and I had a female regular back when. Gimme! xD

No problem, James! I hope you enjoy your pleco.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
I like my Grech filters. They don't have a very high flow rate from what I understand though. But for the price, who cares?? LOL

James95

Well Known
I've never heard of this brand before! Any chance you could share a link to one?

EDIT: They look a lot like the aquatop canister filters I've seen for sale on a couple sites! They look like pretty decent filters, too...

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
That's because they *are* AquaTop filters

Top Bottom