Goldfish And Ich

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Laura M, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Laura MNew MemberMember

I have a 75 gal. tank with 2 comets, 3 ryukins, and 2 shebunkins that have ich. I have slowly increased the temperature from 70º to 77º over the past 12 hrs. I also added some salt, but not the recommended amount since I only had a small amount. I have increased the water flow from the filter plus added a bubble stone. They are all huddled together at the bottom of the tank hardly moving. I know that they are surely stressed, but is this something REALLY BAD?

75gal tank (cycled)
    Ph 8 (which is the usual level)
    Ammonia - under .25
    Nitrites - .25
    Nitrates - 80
    change cartridges every 2 weeks
    fake plants
    (I have no other tanks)

I know the water quality is not ideal, but I have a hard time getting the nitrates down even though I change the water weekly - 10gal. Should I be changing more? Also, I usually have the nitrites down to zero until the past few days.

IMG_2346.JPG

2. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

You might want to do more than 10 gallons. Goldfish produce a lot of waste so you might want to consider doing more then 10 gallons. As for the ich, when I have problems with ich I usually buy the medicine to get rid of the ich. Not many people here are fans of it and like to do the temperature thing but my feeling is that if I pour it in there and follow the instructions it should be ok, less stress on my part at least.

3. Virixiss

VirixissNew MemberMember

Yes, you probably should up the size of your water changes. With goldfish, I personally never change less than 1/3rd of the water in the tank, even if it's sparkling clean. 25 or 30 gallons seems like a lot, but it will do a lot of good for your fish. Your fish certainly seem stressed, but goldfish are tough little boogers and that'll pull through with your help.

As for the ich, good job on raising the temp and adding a bit of salinity; those won't hurt at all. Now I know a few people prefer leaving their treatments at that, but with ich I have yet to personally see results without some kind of medication. I prefer Kordon's CopperSafe, but they also make an herbal product called Ich Attack that has seen success. Follow all directions according to your product, keep your temperatures up, and make sure you treat for the entire period you are supposed to. Ich is a tricky littering, and if you give them just a tiny chance to come back, they will.

4. Summer22

Summer22Valued MemberMember

It appears that either your tank went into a mini-cycle or it never cycled at all. If you have any readings of ammonia or nitrites your not cycled. The reason your Nitrates are 80 (remember 100 is fatal) is because you have too many goldfish for that tank and they are producing massive amounts of waste (hence very high Nitrates). So weekly changes isn't going to be enough. I would do 50% each day till the Nitrates are down then try once a week checking water parameters closely to see if the Nitrates creep back up on you. If they do you need more than once a week. Nitrates need to be 10 or under.

The reason your fish got Ick is because of a compromised immune system caused from the combination of extremely high Nitrates and the not cycled tank itself (ammonia and nitrites). So if you don't solve the original problem then it will be very hard to heal your fish.

I want to share a video about stocking. You don't have to watch the whole thing, I just want to share someone else's opinion on stocking as well. I know it can be hard to take advise from strangers. This is Solid Gold. She's been a you-tuber for a very long time and her channel is only about goldfish, so she knows her stuff.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Laura MNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone! I will definitely increase the amount of water taken out with each water change. I made a 40% water change this evening and added some ich medicine. I'll see how they do in the morning.

6. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

No point in adding anything, like salt if you are not gonna go full dose. Only thing that can happen is salt-resistant ich.
    There are many medications in the market and a healthy fish should not die from ich. If you can't keep nitrates down then just do bigger and more frequent water changes, fish really need clean water to fight off disease.
    Pothos are also great plants that will suck nitrates.
    If you don't want to pay for an overpriced comercial medicine you can use metronidazole from the drugstore. I have used it when the heat treatment is not available and it hasnt failed me yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice