Goldfish and Ghost Shrimp

1. LWormy Member Member

Hello! I have a 32 gallon goldfish tank that will house 2 fancy goldfish. It have pretty powerful filteration, 350 gph and will upgrade to 420 gph. If I have a lot of caves and plants (java fern, possibly hornwort) can I house ghost shrimp in the tank? I don't mind if some of them get eatened, but I just want a good colony of them (about 10) to live in the tank. I have a few questions about them.

1) Can I keep the shrimps in this tank without them getting all eatened?
    2) Will they hurt my fancy goldfish? (fantail, oranda)
    3) Will they breed in the tank or will the filter get the babies?
    4) If they can't breed if the goldfish tank, what if I move the pregnant female to a Fluval Chi with african dwarf frogs and guppies?
    5) Will the eat the hornwort needle? That's the main reason I want them.

Please help!

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I don't know if you can have them with Goldies but I'd be careful about moving them to a tank with the frogs after the camallanus worms. What filter do you have?xx

3. LWormy Member Member

I have the fluval filter box in the Fluval Chi. I already removed the med with a ton of water changes and carbon, also I changed all the substrate, sanitized the plants, and scrubbed the tank down. The only thing I didn't touch is the filter media. I changed the substrate to dirt capped with gravel. Anyone can answer my 5 questions on the first post? @poeticinjustices, Rivieraneo hello~

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I think @poeticinjustices had ghost shrimp with her goldies at one point... but I think they disappeared.

They shouldn't hurt the Goldies at all. What filter do you have in the goldie tank? you asked if it would suck up the shrimp babies?xx

EDIT: I didn;t mean the meds I meant because you didn't treat the snails and frogs, right? Just be careful not to contaminate the goldies.x

5. LWormy Member Member

I actually ended up treating them will fenbendazole because it is less toxic. There are no ill effect and they actually did just fine. I tried it with a few small snails and seeing that they didn't die, I just treated them all. I have a Marineland Penguin 350 for my goldfish tank and I will upgrade to a sump that have 420 gallon per hour.

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

They'll get eaten. Oh yes they will. My goldfish are tiny and my shrimp were huge. I had plenty of hiding spaces. I never in a million years thought they would have gotten anywhere near those little shrimp.

Oh ho...oh ho ho...I was WRONG. 5 of the six they simply stressed to death. The last I came home to find Fritz, my oranda, puffing on one of them like he was a cigar and tossing him about like a football.

Seriously. I can pretty much guarantee this will be the end of your ghost shrimp.

Also, they can hurt goldies lol. At least mine did. I watched her come out of her cave and pluck a scale clear off of Fritz. Which is I guess why he ate her later.

By the way, remember I have the same filter you do. It wasn't a problem even for young ghost shrimp. However they won't actually breed in freshwater. They need brackish water. Baby ghost shrimp also go through a larval stage before being actual shrimp and at this time, yes, they will be sucked up or eaten.

7. LWormy Member Member

I just did a test a week ago and put one of my weakest-looking guppy fry (I have too many) into my goldfish tank, thinking that live food will do my goldie good. I was doing my water changes today and I found the very same fish hidden in my plants, alive and happy. I thought that the filter would've gotton him even if my goldie don't. My fantail is very lazy and doesn't seems to hunt at all. The fry literally swim right next to his mouth and he didn't even try to snap the fry up.
    Since he is so peaceful maybe the ghost shrimp wouldn't be eatened?
    I looked it up and the ghost shrimp breeders didn't say anything about adding salt. Maybe you are confusing them with amano shrimps? I am pretty sure that they can't attack goldfish either, only freshwater prawns can (they look identical except one have tiny claw and one don't). Maybe they sold you the wrong ones. There are actually multiple species of shrimp called ghost shrimp. Confusing I know.

8. LWormy Member Member

Will red cherry shrimp work better than? They are really easy to breed, require no extra care for the babies (no larvae), and is about 1.5". They can also live well in the 60s-70s degree.

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

They were definitely ghost shrimp. She was just a large female. It was probably a weird incident though. I did go through all of the info making sure she was a GS.

They don't need brackish water to live but many of the varieties breed better in slight brackish. But there are a lot of shrimp sold as "ghost shrimp". My LFS kept theirs in brackish but sold them for FW too.

I dunno I am sick and confused and may need to look into more haha. Forget I said it.

By and large, I think your issue is eating them. Which RCS won't solve. Even if it doesn't happen right away it may eventually. So if you do it, just know there's a definite risk. If a goldie can fit it in his mouth, he will. Esp bottom dwellers since goldies spend a lot of time foraging. Your goldie is still adjusting and probably hasn't developed all of his outgoing personality yet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. LWormy Member Member

I have a couple bucks to spare, so I am going to make lots of caves and plant a jungle than try the shrimps. If that doesn't work, it help the snails anyway.

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Best of luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app