Goldfish and danios?

Discussion in 'Cyprinids (includes Goldfish)' started by bassbonediva, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Hi all. I have a 46gal bowfront that I'm going to be setting up again around the end of the month and wanted some compatibility opinions. I'm doing two fancy goldfish (haven't decided exactly what kind yet, but possibly a red cap oranda and a fantail) as the centerpiece fish. The tank will have a Penguin 170 and Whisper 10i for filtration. It'll have driftwood and maybe some live plants as well in a pea gravel substrate. The main reason I want to do goldfish is because I don't have a heater for this tank at the moment, but my house stays around 68-70F, which is perfect for goldies (all my other tanks have heaters).

Anyway, I wanted some more movement other than just the goldfish and was wondering if I could put a small school (6 or so) of leopard danios in with the goldies. I also want some ghost shrimp for a cleanup crew. I am pretty sure there's enough room in the tank for a school of danios and the ghost shrimp (I checked with AqAdvisor, which I know shouldn't be taken as a bible, but it's pretty accurate about calculating space in a tank and stocking levels...just maybe not stocking compatibility) and I'll have enough filtration. So, thoughts?

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Well, they can take the same tempature range as the goldfish, so that is a good start. They have quite the reputation as fin nippers though. The only thing I would worry about is them harassing the much slower fancies

3. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

That was kind of my thinking, but I was wondering if they're like tiger barbs and other fin-nippers in that if you have enough of them they'll only pick on each other, not the other fish in the tank. I know white clouds are another "coldwater" fish that have the same temp range as goldfish, but are they nippers as well? I just love the leopard danios, but they wouldn't fit in any of my other tanks (temperment-wise or temperature-wise...or space-wise really).

4. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

I've had danios in with my regular goldfish, they don't do well in the pond over the winter, so I ended up giving them away. I had the long-fin leopard danios - I like the way they look. Now, I have mosquito fish (very active) and american flag fish.

5. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

They're not going out in a pond, so I don't have to worry about the danios not doing well for the winter. :p Now I'm undecided as to whether I want the danios or the white clouds. I saw some white clouds at Petsmart today and the males were flaring at each other. They were so pretty!

6. gremlin

That's why I got the American Flag Fish - I love the colors...

7. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Yeah, those aren't available in my area, unfortunately. :-/

I think I'm going to do both the danios and the white clouds (there should be room since the white clouds don't have a very high bio-load).

8. gremlin

I ordered mine from LiveAquaria.

Danios are cool, I haven't seen the white clouds so I'm not sure how they look in person.

9. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

I can't order anything 'cuz I don't have a checking account and no one I know will let me use theirs to order anything online. That's kind of why I went with the goldfish idea for this tank...there are a lot of varieties readily available in my area. :p

10. Elvishswimmer

Elvishswimmer Valued Member Member

When your goldfish get bigger (or if you buy them big) they will probably see the shrimps as a yummy snack XD.

Just something to keep in mind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice