Goldfish and Algae Wafers? Question 

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My Fancy Goldfish (Black Moor and Calico Fantail) seem to prefer algae wafers to any other prepared foods.

Is it OK to feed them algae wafers as a staple rather than flake or pellets?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldfish need veggies in their diet maybe this is how their getting theirs
Carol

ViridiosExotics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
can I just feed them algae wafers rather than flake?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They need a variety in their diets so wafers, flakes and pellets all play a part of having healthy fish.
Carol

Royal pleco

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey, I have 3 fancy goldfish, and as stated b4, they need a variety. They love dark leafy Greens.. Mine love spinach (blanch it in hot water to soften for them) They supposebly also like ZucchinI (cut it like in a pickle spear) for the spinach put it in a veggie clip that attaches to the glass. You can do the same as the zucchini, or you could rebber band it to a rock and place on the bottom. Fancy goldfish are prone to swim bladder disease (when they lose their equilibrium, balance, and have a hard time staying upright and so forth. You want all of your food to be sinking (sinking pellets, algae wafers) because when they eat flakes from the top of the tank, they gulp air, and this can lead to the swim bladder disease I reffered to before. So to feed them flakes, simply hold some in the water for a little, and then release, and they will sink to the middle of the tank or bottom, and will be eaten. As for the pellets, and I guess wafers, you should soak them for a minute b4 giving them, because when they're made, their compressed, and when you soak them, you let the oxygen out so it does not expand in their belly right after ingesting. From what I have read, and done a little, is to feed them twice a day, veggies in the morning, and pellets/flakes at night. It's best to feed them small meals throughout the day, but time can be a problem. One of the other best veggies to feed them is Kale, but mine can't chew it, it's too tough, so if yours can, and swallow it, awesome. (I have to learn how to make it softer without taking out all of the nutrients.) Sorry for the long winded post, but I just got and set up this goldfish tank and have been doing a lot of research. There you have it.

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Check out the ingredients and nutritional analysis of fish food you have or buy. Goldfish are omnivores in nature and their digestive system is built to eat a mixed diet of plants and roots, algae, small fish/creatures, bugs, etc. This means they need more vegetable matter and fiber. Algae wafers are fine, but it is likely still too high in protein (probably over 40%) and not enough fiber (usually around measly 3%) on its own. It's difficult to find commercial fish food that's high in fiber, and that's why it is advised to give some veges to your goldfish. In addition to suggestions above, I often give frozen green peas to my goldfish, defrosted, shells removed and pinched into appropriate size--really easy. Many goldfish keepers make home made food mixing a good amount of veges with protein ingredients and vitamins. I also keep plants in my tank such as anacharis or pond weed for my goldfish to nibble on. Hope this helps.

Edit:
And very good notes above by royal pleco above on soaking dry food. It's part of understanding the anatomy of goldfish digestive system, which is long, compacted and compromised easily especially in fancy type goldfish.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads