Goldfish Aggression

luna32

I have two pearlscales, one black moor, and a panda butterfly in a 40 gallon quarantine tank. No ammonia or nitrites, 10 nitrates, temp is 72.5 and pH is 7.5. They have been chasing each other in circles and pushing up on each other's stomach, seemingly in an aggressive way. There was been no known injuries, their fins aren't shredded at all, but I worry the constant pushing around may stress the fish. Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing this behavior and how to make it stop?

Attachments

• 20210308_150044.jpg
    20210308_150044.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210308_150047.jpg
    20210308_150047.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210308_150054.jpg
    20210308_150054.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210308_150055.jpg
    20210308_150055.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 23

mimo91088

Sounds like mating behavior

Upvote 0

GoldfishEnthusiast

I have two pearlscales, one black moor, and a panda butterfly in a 40 gallon quarantine tank. No ammonia or nitrites, 10 nitrates, temp is 72.5 and pH is 7.5. They have been chasing each other in circles and pushing up on each other's stomach, seemingly in an aggressive way. There was been no known injuries, their fins aren't shredded at all, but I worry the constant pushing around may stress the fish. Does anyone have any idea of what may be causing this behavior and how to make it stop?

I agree with mimo. Mating behavior can often be perceived as aggressive (especially since I was just as concerned as you when I first experienced it). Are they particularly “aggressive” after feeding or is it just general? Also, does it seem as if they are head butting one another?

Upvote 0

luna32

Yes, they are pushing up on each other with their heads, and sometimes pushing into their side, while swimming in circles, etc. They seem to do it more in the morning when the lights are on. When I feed them veggies they don't bother each other because they are more focused on the food. Is it okay that they are chasing each other like this?

Upvote 0

GoldfishEnthusiast

Yes, they are pushing up on each other with their heads, and sometimes pushing into their side, while swimming in circles, etc. They seem to do it more in the morning when the lights are on. When I feed them veggies they don't bother each other because they are more focused on the food. Is it okay that they are chasing each other like this?

Well, it doesn’t seem to be feeding aggression then... and as long as they aren’t ramming or nipping (evident by frayed or torn fins) then it likely isn’t aggressive. Goldfish tend to get along with one another extremely well and are, generally, very friendly! I’ve only once experienced a territorial comet goldfish but it was extremely apparent by forcefully ramming into the sides of other fish with as much speed as it could gather.

I would say you are experience mating behavior, but maybe someone else will weigh in with a different opinion. Perhaps just continue to observe them for nipping or watch for some damaged fins, but like I said before goldfish are almost always extremely friendly fish and work well together.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • ButtercuptheOranda
  • Goldfish
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ryz