Golden Zebra Loach Hand Feeding

1. Ankers

Ankers Well Known Member Member

I currently have two baby golden zebra loaches in a ten gallon.I've been trying to get my 3 inch loach to eat out of my hand. Recently he came up to my hand but would not touch it. Any advice for getting him to eat out of my hand.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

One word: Patience! They are very shy creatures, so take it a little at a time. It's good that he's coming closer,, he just needs to be enticed into going all the way. Food really helps (duh!), and its worth working with him when you are feeding, and in short periods. And don't move around too quickly or do anything that might associate your hand with danger. Its like training koi, haha. If you want to try, you can use tongs as they are less noticeable, but still get him used to swimming up and taking food from your fingers/tongs :)

Are you planning to upgrade them soon?

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

As kinskins suggested , patience is key.

But regarding stock , their are some issues. Zebra loaches need to be kept in groups of 6+ but DO NOT add them since a 10g is to small for a single zebra loach. They are very active fish given enough room. They need a 55g at the very minimum.

4. OP
    OP
    Ankers

Upgrading them to a twenty gallon in about a month

I might get a third one

5. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately 20g won't do any good for them , they really do need the 55g (48" of lenght) and be kept in higher numbers of atleast 6+.

6. OP
    OP
    Ankers

I've had other people tell me that they need a thirty gallon with groups of four thats what I've been going for