Golden Shark??????

Highlander

Reaction score
That's what I was told when I bought 2 of these. They are about 3" long and very active. Great fish but I cannot find any info anywhere. I would love to know more about these fish. Any ideas? Thanks

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never heard of a golden shark but looks more like a characin. Can't tell exactly what it is

Highlander

Reaction score
I was kind of thinking more along the lines of a barb of some sort. But I'm a real rookie at this stuff.
Thanks for taking a look.

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

we have "Labiobarbus Hoevenii" otherwise known as the "Red-finned Cigar Shark".

It took a BUNCH of research on the internet to find that one!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
nice fish, glad you have it identified!
tan

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
They are also call'ed Maroon sharks, i have 3 of them i got when they started about 1 inch long, and now are a good 10 Inch long they grow fast with a good food supply, they are very calm, i dont even think they eat feeder gold fish. they get along great with my Oscar and bala sharks.
they are about 4x the size of my balas tho lol. and my Oscar is super friendly i had a albino cory, blue grom and some Tetra in the same tank and he did not go after them once. but i have takin them out n put them in a new tank now

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
atmmachine said:
Never heard of a golden shark but looks more like a characin. Can't tell exactly what it is
It can't be a characin because it doesn't have that little fin behind the dorsal fin. Only characins and catfish have.
Tom

Callum The Cat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
cigar sharks are lovely but they get giagantic

Peace Out Callum!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom