Help golden severum... what shall i do ?

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
golden severum ( with pic ) ... what shall i do ?

Hey everyone.. im new to the fish forum world and also fairly new to fish keeping....
i have a 65g tank with 2 golden severums, and 2 jack dempsey's...
the question i wanted to ask is..my golden severums have started to get black spots/patches from middle body upwards also in the fins...
woundering if any of you guys could help me out with this ? is this a sign of concern ?....
they seem to be swimming around happy as normall and eating as soon as the food hits the water....
if pictures would be more of a help then i'll get some posted ASAP

thanks
Craig

hope this picture helps...
any relpys will be much greatfull....

Attachments

Last edited:

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It could just be natural coloring that they get as they age or it could be some sort of ailment, like Tommy said post pics

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello CraigB and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys i gotthe picture up as soon as i could, its not he best of pictures... but ny advice, idea's, anything at tall would help me out alot....

Thanks
Craig

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore Craig.

Severums do usually have a scattering of small spots on the upper half of the body. I don't think the markings are anything to worry about.

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Nutte.... just wanted to make sure what you guys thought... only got th fishes intrest at heart

thanks again

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A normal gold sev ( I would say "true" instead of normal but since they are not a recognized Heros species I won't) will not show the markings.

I am not being rude or trying to talk bad about your fish....... it is a "dirty" or poorly breed fish if you will. Along the lines whoever breed this group of fish (your fish) missed something along the way and the blotches are visible. I would say nothing is wrong with it other than being blotchy.

Brian

Craig_B

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks Brain... its nice to ge as much understanding as i can

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is the same as when you see the African cichlid Labidochromis Caeruleus (electric yellow) with black verticle barring. A "perfect" species will have no barring, ever, doesn't matter on mood or anything else. That black barring comes from generations of breeding the fish back to its own gene pool, and gives them a dirty appearence.

Brian

wilkinson7133

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have 2 pairs of severums 2 green and 2 gold. 1 of my gold ones has black spots and the other is just developing a few on its head, i dont think its anything to worry about as the developing severum has just mated with one of my green ones. if i notice anything with them il post it on this thead as long as its open.

riano

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
808.jpg

this is my gold severum and until now id never seen another one with black markings.

mine was a little runt that was left in the store and he looked sick and didnt eat for about two weeks, i thought the marking were just because he was sick but he is now getting pretty big and the black markings have stayed.

gold severums are just a colour morph of the "domestic green" so as someone else mentioned ours are just probably more poorly bred examples but i think it gives them a bit of character!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom