Golden Ram pairing with GBR?

Clarity

So a couple of days ago I got a few Ram's for my 75gallon planted aquarium. I got 2 German blue Rams (1 Male and 1 Female) 1 Bolivian Ram (pretty sure it's Male) and 1 golden Ram (Male)

Now I don't know if this is possible hence the reason I am posting this thread but I am pretty sure my Female German Blue Ram has paired with my Male Golden Ram. Is this even possible? For 2 different types of Ram to pair with eachother? If so, what will the off spring be or turn out like, if they can even breed together?

They are starting to shows signs of setting up a breeding space/territory and are keep the other Rams and dwarf cichlids away, they don't seem to have found the perfect spot yet but keep returning to a nice piece of flat wood with lots of plant cover and appear to be cleaning it constantly almost as if they are prepping it or something? they also tend to do this little vibrate, wiggle thing on top of it too if that means anything.

The male golden Ram seems to have s real issue with the Male German blue ram aswell and is not only chasing him away from the area but also will often continue to chase him around the tank until he looses him as there is plenty of plant cover and hard scape for him to escape, is there a reason the golden Ram has some sort of beef with the male German blue in particular? Also are golden rams usually a bit more on the aggressive side compared to other Rams? Would adding more female rams to the tank help diffuse some of the tension? Maybe a female golden, Bolivian or maybe another GBR?

Fair few questions here so thanks in advance :D

Dunk2

So a couple of days ago I got a few Ram's for my 75gallon planted aquarium. I got 2 German blue Rams (1 Male and 1 Female) 1 Bolivian Ram (pretty sure it's Male) and 1 golden Ram (Male)

Now I don't know if this is possible hence the reason I am posting this thread but I am pretty sure my Female German Blue Ram has paired with my Male Golden Ram. Is this even possible? For 2 different types of Ram to pair with eachother? If so, what will the off spring be or turn out like, if they can even breed together?

They are starting to shows signs of setting up a breeding space/territory and are keep the other Rams and dwarf cichlids away, they don't seem to have found the perfect spot yet but keep returning to a nice piece of flat wood with lots of plant cover and appear to be cleaning it constantly almost as if they are prepping it or something? they also tend to do this little vibrate, wiggle thing on top of it too if that means anything.

The male golden Ram seems to have s real issue with the Male German blue ram aswell and is not only chasing him away from the area but also will often continue to chase him around the tank until he looses him as there is plenty of plant cover and hard scape for him to escape, is there a reason the golden Ram has some sort of beef with the male German blue in particular? Also are golden rams usually a bit more on the aggressive side compared to other Rams? Would adding more female rams to the tank help diffuse some of the tension? Maybe a female golden, Bolivian or maybe another GBR?

Fair few questions here so thanks in advance :D
The Gold Ram is simply a color variant of the German Blue Ram.

And yes, they can pair up and breed. I‘ve had them pair up and got both Blues and Golds, but mostly Golds.

About the aggression you’re seeing, that’s typical with Rams. It will become more intense if the pair spawns. Do you have your tank set up with sort of territories and plenty of hiding spots?

And do you realize that German Blues and Bolivians should be kept at different water temperatures?

Clarity

The Gold Ram is simply a color variant of the German Blue Ram.

And yes, they can pair up and breed. I‘ve had them pair up and got both Blues and Golds, but mostly Golds.

About the aggression you’re seeing, that’s typical with Rams. It will become more intense if the pair spawns. Do you have your tank set up with sort of territories and plenty of hiding spots?

And do you realize that German Blues and Bolivians should be kept at different water temperatures?
Cheers mate, that's good to know, I had a feeling they where 2 different colour morphs.

Yeah the tank is set up with plenty of hiding spots, territories with plants and wood blocking lines of sight between eachother.

Yes I am aware that German blues typically like it on the warmer side but I have set my tank to 27°C (around 80.6 Fahrenheit) with the heater located away from the inlet and outlet (tank is 4x2x2.5 LWH) so I have a slightly cooler temperature spot on one side according to my thermometers. I can cater for both the Bolivian Ram, German blue and all the rest of my tanks inhabitants this way. It's a nice happy medium for them all. I know the German blue/gold are less likely to breed unless it's warmer, but breeding them was never my goal or intension, if they do then cool! It will be a little bonus and will be nice to watch. If not, it's no Biggie!

How are they as parents? Do I need to remove eggs if they spawn or remove fry when they hatch?

Dunk2

Cheers mate, that's good to know, I had a feeling they where 2 different colour morphs.

Yeah the tank is set up with plenty of hiding spots, territories with plants and wood blocking lines of sight between eachother.

Yes I am aware that German blues typically like it on the warmer side but I have set my tank to 27°C (around 80.6 Fahrenheit) with the heater located away from the inlet and outlet (tank is 4x2x2.5 LWH) so I have a slightly cooler temperature spot on one side according to my thermometers. I can cater for both the Bolivian Ram, German blue and all the rest of my tanks inhabitants this way. It's a nice happy medium for them all. I know the German blue/gold are less likely to breed unless it's warmer, but breeding them was never my goal or intension, if they do then cool! It will be a little bonus and will be nice to watch. If not, it's no Biggie!

How are they as parents? Do I need to remove eggs if they spawn or remove fry when they hatch?
Others will disagree, but I wouldn’t keep GBR and Bolivians together.

I’ve tried them at lower temperatures, but my GBR have done best at 82F+. But, your tank, your call.

Getting past even the egg stage in a community tank is challenging at best. I keep my Rams in 2 separate species only tanks. I’ve had luck breeding them only by removing the fry on the first day of free swimming. And I’ve had a ton of eggs eaten before they reach the wiggler or free swimming stage.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views