Golden Rabbit Snails

carpentermt

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got 6 golden rabbit snails about 2 months ago for my planted tank. They are quite active, exploring everything and eat whatever they find supplemented with algae pellets.

Here's my problem. I have a small gravel substrate, Seachem flourite, in a 90 gallon tank. My son noticed the snails have started losing the tips of their shells. I think they may be falling off the sides of the tank and fracturing their shells. So far their behavior has not been affected.

Is this a common problem with rabbit snails. Is there anything practical to do about it? Does it portend that they will become ill?

Thanks.

Rojer Ramjet

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They burrow through the substrate; you may also have soft water which will prevent them from repairing their shells due to low TDS and ph.

Hard to say without photos and a full water chemistry report, though.

I diligently supplement calcium to mine in the form of weekend fish feeding blocks.

Pringlethesnail

Well Known
Reaction score
It’s extremely common with rabbit snails. Actually both of my rabbits had this before I bought them. When I had sand my rabbit snails never dug or burrowed. Now I have seachem flourite. I don’t think it got any worse when I changed substrates. Since they are vegetarians make sure you throw some algae wafers in there for them a few times a week, also try blanched spinach I never tried it but it is supposed to be good for shell health. Also you can get powdered calcium from the reptile section and put it in the water every water change.

OP
carpentermt

carpentermt

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 90 gallon tank (although it's never completely filled. I use tap water for water changes, and add Stress Coat. The last water change was about 15 gallons 2 days ago.
Temp: 76-78
pH - 8 (by colorimetric strip)
kH 240 (or maximum)
gH 180
nitrate < 20 ppm
nitrite ~0

In this photo look at the tips of the shells. These 2 snails are active and eating algae pellets. I give them a pellet snack about once a week. I can't get blanch
upload_2018-4-10_19-33-39.png
ed vegetables to sink and don't want to tie weights to them.
upload_2018-4-10_19-33-39.png

Keystone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try freezing veggies instead of blanching - when they are thawed out for freezing they usually sink rather easily

New Threads