Golden Nugget Requirements?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Scottshark, Apr 11, 2017.

1. S

Scottshark New Member Member

Hi guys....I seen a golden nugget pleco in a fish store and instantly wanted one...looked amazing.....although at £35 I want to know if there is any special requirements for the golden nugget to thrive in my tank....I'm running a 3foot community tank....15 neons, 1 red tail black shark and 2 (soon to be 5) small clown loach......thanks

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    In my opinion, just from your current stocking I suggest that you'll have to upgrade in the future. Clown loaches get to 1 foot a pop and require a 100 gallon+ tank.

I'm assuming that your Red Tailed shark is still a juvie? Once they mature they will make it their life's purpose to kill all other bottom dwelling creatures.

Golden Nugget Plecos can get up to 9-12 inches. IMO, if you are planning to upgrade to a much larger tank size then we can start talking about the GN Pleco

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Not sure on the pleco, but do you know how large clown loaches get?

4. Ed204

The Pleco gets around 9-12 inches a pop and the loaches get to about 1 foot each.
    Making it a complete recipe for disaster, now all you need is a Synodontis Eupterus to compelete your collection of large bottom dwellers lol.

5. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

I agree with everything Ed204 is saying.The clown loaches can get to a foot each. The pleco is going to get to 9-12 inches. Plus your going to have a 4-5 inch red tail shark that's possibly going to get extremely aggressive, and because of the confined space it might possibly get even more aggressive.

6. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

Thanks Ed I phrased that wrong though lol. I meant... "you do know how huge clown loaches get...right?"

And I only day that because I see them at big box stores...i even fell for it once... had a group of 4 in a 40B! Luckily I took those back and got zebras instead :)

7. Ed204

No worries :). However, I'm more of a YoYo Loaches guy myself,lol.

8. OP
    OP
    S

Scottshark New Member Member

Ah....the guy in the fish store said they would only grow to the size of the tank their put in

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice