Golden Mystery Snails Not Laying Eggs?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have three olive colored mystery snails ("darkfoot" maybe?), a picture of one is below. They are very prodigious egg layers - constantly laying the pink colored eggs out of the water as seen in a picture below. I also have numerous golden colored mystery snails, picture below. I have had them for awhile, and so far as I can tell they have not laid a single egg. Do they not lay eggs in clusters above the water line like the others? What might have caused them not to lay eggs? Or might they be laying them in the water somewhere? Thanks!

Ey2Lbq7.jpg

h56PSjZ.jpg

zysrUrE.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They do, but do you know if they're male or female? Mystery snails have distinct sexes, and it's possible that the brown ones are all male.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They do, but do you know if they're male or female? Mystery snails have distinct sexes, and it's possible that the brown ones are all male.

Thanks Rtessty! So I have 3 brown/olive ones - they cannot all be male as I am 100% sure they are laying the eggs, correct? I have no idea on the sexes of the gold mystery snails, but I have like 20 of them - would it not be truly bizarre if they were all the same sex? Seems pretty long odds of that haha. When you say "they do" - do you mean lay eggs in clusters above the water line?

Here is another picture below - is there a way to easily spot males versus females? The one on the left looks like it might have a male sex organ out haha.

GAkgs6m.jpg

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Haha, sorry, I mean yes, they do lay clutches above the water. They're the same species, just line bred into different colors.
Actually, the one on the left has its air siphon out, they use it to breathe atmospheric air and to see how far away the surface is. The male organ is located on the other side.
You should definitely have a good mix of sexes. One thing that always makes mine breed and lay eggs is to feed a lot of protein for 2-3 days, and eggs normally appear the day after. Try and find some predatory fish pellets or similar, maybe bug bites, and feed some of those.
Also, lowering the water level 2-3 inches below the top helps mine as well.
As for spotting males and females, I've never been good at that, as it requires you to hold them out of the water and above the ground until they start coming out of their shell.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks so much Rtessy! They are really the same species? The olive looking ones seem HUGE by comparison! It looks like the most people say the species of mystery snail is pomacea bridgesii. But I see stuff like this:

"Chinese (Cipangopaludina chinensis), Japanese (C. japonica), and banded mystery snails (Viviparus georgianus) can form dense populations and outcompete native species for food and habitat in lakes and streams. "

Petco has on their website:

"Gold Inca Snail (Pomacea sp.)"

Not sure what sp. is but obviously seems different than bridgesii. I actually ordered golden inca snails (in addition to gold mystery snails) off ebay - they seem to be the same according to many sites, but then there is that weird Petco listing as a different species.

Snapped this pic - might these be doing it, or just the gold ones trying to eat algae off the olive one?

Thanks!

n3SNnFl.jpg

Hmmm, just spotted this.... smaller gold one definately looked like it was riding the bigger one, bigger one was twisting back and forth haha.

If a gold and olive one breed, what are the different colors, and chance of each, that it might come out? Any idea?

Thanks!!!

lLne0Hp.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts, but one more question! I'll check out predator fish pellets and bug bites, but curious - should snello, based on a high-protein baby food, not also work? I made some that is based on chicken - it has very high protein, and also like 30% of the RDA of calcium! That should be right up their ally, no?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Protein based snello should work! And the first pic definitely looks like mating, lol.
If the gold and black breed, the result is normally black since stripes, dark food, and black color is dominant. The black, gold, blue, ivory, magenta, and purple are all the same species since they can interbreed and produce fertile young.
However, if the black has gold recessive genes, like some of mine do, they produce 50% black, 25% gold, and 25% Jade offspring.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom