Golden Molly Had Birth! Suggestions..?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vortexed, Apr 9, 2017.

1. VortexedValued MemberMember

Hello!

Recently my golden molly had birth. I was gone for a few hours and I came back to notice my molly was looking much skinnier.. so I looked around for any sign of fry, and after a few minutes of looking, I see them hiding above some plants. What do I do? I have a spare 5 gallon tank.. however its not fully cycled and the filter is a bit too strong.. if a fry got under that filter they would be long gone, I lost a neon tetra that way.

So, what do I do??

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

If you want to keep the fry, I'd move them to the spare 5 gal and get a sponge filter (daily water changes until you can get one). Small fry don't create much waste, so you don't have to fishless cycle beforehand if you keep an eye on water quality and do water changes as needed (super easy on a 5 gal bare bottom tank).

3. FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Congratulations on your molly fry!! They are soooo cute!!

4. VortexedValued MemberMember

Hopefully they can last. They seem to be good hiders, they all kinda grouped together at the top of the tank where the plants cover em. Lol, smart cookies.

5. Schultz0620New MemberMember

Instincts are an amazing thing. Good luck!

6. KristineJohNew MemberMember

Congrats! I came home from dinner today and found five fry in my tank! No idea who the mother is (recently acquired females). I have them in a regular net to keep them safe from other mollies and a betta until I can get a breeder net tomorrow. I had found a single dead fry in the tank yesterday and thought it was strange. I'm glad I found some alive today!

7. VortexedValued MemberMember

Only 2 of the 7 fry survived the night. Maybe I should save them?? Maybe they are smart enough to live on their own?

8. KristineJohNew MemberMember

It's up to you if you want to save them. I found another one in the tank this morning and I kept trying to add him to the net but he's a sneaky little guy and worked his way under the plants. I'm worried my Betta especially is enjoying the snacks, but the other mollies are definitely combing the bottom looking for fry snacks. I read somewhere if you don't let your fish eat them they can become a nuisance. So I'm at a loss myself. I still don't know who the mom is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice