Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortexed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

Recently my golden molly had birth. I was gone for a few hours and I came back to notice my molly was looking much skinnier.. so I looked around for any sign of fry, and after a few minutes of looking, I see them hiding above some plants. What do I do? I have a spare 5 gallon tank.. however its not fully cycled and the filter is a bit too strong.. if a fry got under that filter they would be long gone, I lost a neon tetra that way.

So, what do I do??

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you want to keep the fry, I'd move them to the spare 5 gal and get a sponge filter (daily water changes until you can get one). Small fry don't create much waste, so you don't have to fishless cycle beforehand if you keep an eye on water quality and do water changes as needed (super easy on a 5 gal bare bottom tank).

FishL:))

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello!

Recently my golden molly had birth. I was gone for a few hours and I came back to notice my molly was looking much skinnier.. so I looked around for any sign of fry, and after a few minutes of looking, I see them hiding above some plants. What do I do? I have a spare 5 gallon tank.. however its not fully cycled and the filter is a bit too strong.. if a fry got under that filter they would be long gone, I lost a neon tetra that way.

So, what do I do??
Congratulations on your molly fry!! They are soooo cute!!

Vortexed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you want to keep the fry, I'd move them to the spare 5 gal and get a sponge filter (daily water changes until you can get one). Small fry don't create much waste, so you don't have to fishless cycle beforehand if you keep an eye on water quality and do water changes as needed (super easy on a 5 gal bare bottom tank).
Hopefully they can last. They seem to be good hiders, they all kinda grouped together at the top of the tank where the plants cover em. Lol, smart cookies.

KristineJoh

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats! I came home from dinner today and found five fry in my tank! No idea who the mother is (recently acquired females). I have them in a regular net to keep them safe from other mollies and a betta until I can get a breeder net tomorrow. I had found a single dead fry in the tank yesterday and thought it was strange. I'm glad I found some alive today!

Vortexed

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats! I came home from dinner today and found five fry in my tank! No idea who the mother is (recently acquired females). I have them in a regular net to keep them safe from other mollies and a betta until I can get a breeder net tomorrow. I had found a single dead fry in the tank yesterday and thought it was strange. I'm glad I found some alive today!
Only 2 of the 7 fry survived the night. Maybe I should save them?? Maybe they are smart enough to live on their own?

KristineJoh

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's up to you if you want to save them. I found another one in the tank this morning and I kept trying to add him to the net but he's a sneaky little guy and worked his way under the plants. I'm worried my Betta especially is enjoying the snacks, but the other mollies are definitely combing the bottom looking for fry snacks. I read somewhere if you don't let your fish eat them they can become a nuisance. So I'm at a loss myself. I still don't know who the mom is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom