Golden Gourami

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Ogskive, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Ogskive

Ogskive New Member Member

Hello, I have a 25 gallon tank (24"length 12.5"depth and 19"high) and I was curious as to if this would be suitable for a single Golden Gourami. The tank would be specifically for the Gourami with only a few other guppies. Is this too small of a tank?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would say it's too small, they get 6 inches. I would do a 30 gallon long (36 long by 12 width) min for them.

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i would agree. its just a little too small for a gold gourami. a dwarf gourami would fit nicely, or even a pair (with the guppies)

4. Anders247

Honey gouramis would also work....

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Never really seen an actual 30 long before, only 30 gallons that are actually only 29 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247

Yeah, me too. So a 40g really. But a 30 long if you can find one.

7. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Well my 38 is 36x12x20 I think. I always forget. That's big enough for a gold gourami.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

They are out there. My first tank was a true 30g, 36x12x16. But you guys are right, most of the time when someone says they have a 30g tank, they seem to mean a 29g.

As a side note, I know it's said three spot gouramis (which "gold gouramis" are) can reach 6", but I've had them for years and never seen one anywhere near that big. Right now I have a 5-year old blue pair that are about 4", maybe a little bigger. Having said that, I'd still ultimately recommend a 36" long tank for them.

9. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Does you pair mate? I'm gonna get Sparkling Gourami's, probably 1 male 3 females(if they won't mate), and I really don't want baby gourami's.

10. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

No, mine don't. They may both be female, one definitely is female and the other has a slightly longer, more pointed (though still pretty round) dorsal fin. They've never built a bubble nest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice