Golden gourami behaviour

1. samamamajama Member Member

I have a 5" male and 2 3" female golden gourami in my 200L tank and was told that they normally swim around the top of the tank. My male and one of the females hang around low down to the bottom of the tank where it is very planted with java fern and don't move except to come up for a breath at the surface every now and then. The male even sometimes slumps down against the wall and floor of the tank. Is this normal behaviour for a gourami?

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

3. Maxi1 Member Member

And what size is your tank?

4. samamamajama Member Member

All my parameters are fine, ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is around 0<20, the temp is at 27 degrees celsius. The tank is a 4 foot long 200L tank.

5. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

That's not normal behavior. How long has he been doing this? Can you post a photo or video?

6. samamamajama Member Member

He has been doing it since i got him last week. He was fine in the aquarium store swimming around with the rest of them but as soon as he went into my tank he found that spot and just sits there

[​IMG]

This is the gourami and he just sits in this exact spot

7. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Is it possible he might still be getting adjusted to the tank? Does he eat?

8. samamamajama Member Member

I have only seen him eat once I think (either that or he was taking a breath at the surface) since i got him last week

9. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

Your water parameters seem normal, you could try Garlic Guard to see if it perks up his appetite.

I've seen this behavior sometimes on my previous tanks and again in my rebuilt tank. Not sure whether it's shock or the change of environment. It seems that some fish just loose the will to thrive or perhaps don't get accepted into the fold of already established tank mates.

I can say, of the fish that I've seen this behavior don't show any outward signs of disease or infection. They just go into a shy, restrictive behavior that overall sometimes in the rare case I've had them die mysteriously.

For example the four Odessa barbs I recently purchased. When I picked them out, I took them because they were all lively, clear of infection and very colorful. They were playfull with each other and staying in a tight group.

Now... one of them within 24 hours has lost his color, is being reclusive from the other three. Ive got my eye on him, he seems to be eating very little and he dosent seem to be welcome in his former group. Now whether the fish know something about him that I don't, who's to say.

So there is a small chance he could already be sick before you got him, but here's to hoping he's only being moody and will snap out of it.

10. aleu18 Member Member

I had the same problem the first few days after getting my gourami. I have a dwarf gourami tho. Mine would do the same thing as yours but after a while he began swimming more and more. Just give him some time and eventually he will be swimming all over. It took my gourami about two weeks to begin exploring the whole tank.

11. samamamajama Member Member

Hopefully he is just settling in, he doesnt have any physical defects or anything and isnt showing physical signs of illness. When he does go up for breaths at the surfaces he is a pretty swift swimmer so maybe he is just adjusting. The other gourami have all settled in nicely though which is good

12. Maxi1 Member Member

Beautiful gourami. I have pearls and honeys and have found them to be shy fish. It looks like your tank is planted, hiding places helps mine and floating plants. I have a hollow log they can use and a slate cave. Hope yours will perk up soon.