Golden Gourami attacking other fishes with new fish addition Help

1. AwNuts Member Member

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas,

I have a bit of fin trouble and need some advise.

One of my current Golden Gouramis became dominant over the other fishes and is attacking one of my new Golden Gouramis and two Blue Dwarf Gouramis that i recently added to the tank. The funny part is that before i added those three fishes, my current Golden Gouramie got along with the other fishes just fine. Now with the new additions he seems much different. I added a bit of stress coat and stress zyme to help the tension that the Golden Gouramie has created.

Also occasionaly he will chase the rosy barbs for a tad bit making it seem as he is being dominant over his space.

Any suggestions on what can i do to make my current Golden Gouramie get along with the rest?

As of right now i have him quarantined in a net within the tank so he would stop attacking the other fishes.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Gouramis can be aggressive with other fish their size, especially other gouramis, I think.

Stresszyme doesn't contain aquatic bacteria - if you are using it as a cycling product, it won't help. If your tank is cycled and you are using it to relieve stress, I'm not sure how it would do that... I do think it might mess up an established cycle, because your bacteria would have to compete for ammonia to feed on.

Edit: Check on the compatibility - I think you are going to have problems. You may have to rehome or return some of them. At the least, I would re-scape the layout to break up existing territories.

2nd edit: You have them in there with sharks, too? :shock:

3. AwNuts Member Member

my 55 gal is cycled, its been running for a long time.

i did a 25% water change yesterday.

Other than that my current Golden Gourami became aggressive after the new addition. Everyone else seems normal.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Jay, a golden gourami is the same in temperment and size as a blue, right? If it is, the care sheet says they get aggressive with other gouramis. Are they both males?
    https://www.fishlore.com/profile-bluegourami.htm

edit: I just verified that the goldens are a color variation of the blue, so reading that care sheet may help you.

5. AwNuts Member Member

i checked them and they are not males.

6. AwNuts Member Member

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_tricho2.php

has this quote:
    I find that gold gouramis of any sex can be very mean and aggressive towards others, especially dwarf gouramis. The one I have had to be put into a smaller aquarium because he was picking on the other gourami. I find that gold gourami are best kept with mollies, swordtails and fish of that nature. In my opinion the gold gourami should be the largest fish in the aquarium.

Yes, I understood that. You have 2 golden gouramis and 2 dwarf gouramis. Your goldens are both female. Golden gouramis are a color variation of the blue gourami (not dwarf), which is the care sheet I linked.
    :)
    I'm trying to research it for you.

8. AwNuts Member Member

good quote,

Im glad that my gouramis are not the biggest fish in my tank.
    The biggest fishes in my tanks are my two leporinus and one balla shark.

For now im going to keep a close eye on that Golden Gourami.
    its just weird that my current Gourami was never aggressive with the previous Golden Gourami i had in the tank

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Fish are weird, huh...
    Try moving some of the plants and decorations around. Maybe if you just break up goldie's current territory, she'll back off.

10. AwNuts Member Member

ill try it. i have all decors and plants perfectly proportion accross the tank allowing the fish to feel confortoable on either ends of the tank.

one thing that i notice is that when i put that fish on the net the first time and went i took him out of his time out he seemed very calmed and getting along well. after a while he wasn't too bad on chasing other fishes, so i put him on the net once again within the tank so his aggression level drop. so far so good, so lets see after i take him out of the net how he reacts.

Thanks Meenu for all your help. i will keep you posted

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Good luck, Jay. I hope it works out for you.

12. AwNuts Member Member

thanks me too.