Golden Dojo’s Getting Large

Carolyn Johnson

How big will Golden Dojo’s get? I have a male and female. My male is getting really big. I have a 60 gallon tank.

ayeayeron

They can get 6-8” long in captivity

yeti79

I have a 10 inch golden dojo loach. Was 2 3/4" when I got him almost 3 years ago. My other two dojos are 9 and 8 inch. Ive seen 11, 12 inch ones posted online before on occasion. They are not the 6 inch fish they claim on the fish price/info insert I have seen at the big name store before.

ayeayeron

I have a 10 inch golden dojo loach. Was 2 3/4" when I got him almost 3 years ago. My other two dojos are 9 and 8 inch. Ive seen 11, 12 inch ones posted online before on occasion. They are not the 6 inch fish they claim on the fish price/info insert I have seen at the big name store before.
They can definitely get bigger when they have the space; larger tanks and ponds. But in the 60g OP has, they’re not gonna max out that large. They just don’t have the room to.

yeti79

They just don’t have the room to.
I disagree with you there. My 10 inch has grown in a 55. A larger tank is much better but they can still get quite large.

To anyone interested in getting a dojo loach please do not keep them in anything less than a 55 gallon long term and preferably 75 or larger. They are very friendly fish with lots of personality. Mine will come eat from my hand, lay in my palm and let me hold/pet them!

ayeayeron

I disagree with you there. My 10 inch has grown in a 55. A larger tank is much better but they can still get quite large.

To anyone interested in getting a dojo loach please do not keep them in anything less than a 55 gallon long term and preferably 75 or larger. They are very friendly fish with lots of personality. Mine will come eat from my hand, lay in my palm and let me hold/pet them!
Perhaps it’s a genetic thing then, or wild caught vs captive bred. Because mine have never gotten larger than 6-7 inches.
I agree that they are very friendly though. I only have 1 at the moment and I adore him :)

jinjerJOSH22

They are very friendly fish with lots of personality. Mine will come eat from my hand
Though they are very capable of hunting and eating smaller fish. I had a 10-12" Golden and a 8" regular hunt and eat 20 or so small Golden Danios overnight. Took me by surprise at the time. We've recently had our smaller Dojos chasing adult Endlers though nothing has come of that yet!
We've had ours for a couple of years now and they have stayed around the 4-6" mark until recently they have started to bulk up a bit. The other I kept that grew over 8" was a much quicker grower along with the 10" Golden(which was bought at that size but still grew in the time I had it). These were actually kept in a 30 gallon 3' aquarium something I wouldn't recommend but it worked out well for me and my fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
yeti79
  • Carolyn Johnson
  • Loaches
Replies
Views
Carolyn Johnson
Replies
Views