Gold Water ??

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
My Dad is no expert on fish ....unless you asked him but he kept fish for a year or so. But everytime he comes to my house he comments on my water color he say's that when the water color is gold thats when everything is good. So here's my question is he right. I havent read anything about gold water. Let me know so I can shut the old fart up.
Thanks wolfman

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't no what he means by "gold water". My tank water is crystal clear all the time.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe he means when the sunlight hits the water just so.. reminds me of one time when the water coming through the taps of one of our cities was badly discolored, and one of our top government officials went on record saying if people could drink sodapop in different colors,they shouldn't have a problem drinking the water from their taps!!.. dude, gold water is what it is, dirty.. and that ain't good for your fish.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any wood in your tank? If so it may be leaching tannins into the water. It won't hurt anything but it makes the water look discolored.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Does he mean "yellow" by "gold" water? As Carol has said, it could be tannins, which are not dangerous, but which may bring the pH down ... and, actually, it's best if they don't bring that pH down TOO MUCH, lol. OR ... I think yellow water can also indicate that it's over-saturated with fish wastes, which definitely is not good! It's best when water is "crystal-clear" and has no color whatsoever ... unless one wants tannins in the water on purpose, to create a certain "mood".

P.S. Did your dad perform regular water changes when he had his tank(s)? If he didn't ... that's probably why he had "yellow/gold" water

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well my dad came over yesterday and brought me old piece of driftwood. So I soaked it guess what gold water tannis is what you guess called it. the 5 gallon bucket was soild gold. well now I get to tell the fart I was right. thanks everybody

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hehehehehehehehehe. Good one. ;D

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Good Job. Glad you figured it out and get to proove him wrong. My dad and grandfather are the same way. Did you know that my grandfather says the dictionary is printed wrong. cause he is right and the dictionary is wrong. hahahaha.... enjoy it while you can...

Heidi

Wolfman

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have been soaking a piece of driftwood since sunday i think and it is still making the water yellow any tips on how to get the tannis out?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Continue to soak it, it probably needs to be boiled also. The boiling will leech the tannins faster and kill any nastys that might be in/on it. if you don't object to the color your fish won't either
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom