Gold Rams Dying

1. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, I've had 3 Gold Rams die on me and I don't want to lose any more. I got one and two weeks later it was dead. I had just got another to keep it company the night before it died. I returned and replaced the dead one, returned home, and a few days later the one I had got to accompany the original was dead. The replacement I got for the original about a week ago died today. I'm trying to figure out the cause. They were in my 20H set up for Gold Ram pairing. All seemed fine around an hour before I found them dead. All my parameters are in check. Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are about 10. The tank does not have a heater as it currently remains 78-80 degrees during the day and no lower than 76 for a few hours at night. The only possibility I can think of is that all fish came from the same exact store (PetSmart).

2. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I have raised discus successfully for fifteen years...I have yet to keep a ram alive of any type for longer than a month. Nothing to offer other than that- you are not alone.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

When was the tank started?

4. OP
    OP
    Katie13

The tank was started just under a month ago. The filter/filter media has been running on other tanks for over 5 years. It had a 1-2 year break. I ran it on a 10g Betta fry tank for about a month when I decided to use it on the Gold Ram tank I was planning. It ran about a month, maybe more before I had the 20H Gold Ram tank up. It then had another week or so carefully watching parameters once more to double check that parameters were absolutely stable.

5. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I currently have 5 GBRs. Four out of the five are proven imported. I've had four of them for 4-5 months. I didn't think Gold Rams would be much different as they are the same, just different colors.

6. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Any ideas/thoughts? I may get more tomorrow, but I'd prefer to know if it's something I should really worry about.

7. Sushi roll

Sushi roll New Member Member

I have personally found that WHERE your rams come from are the most important thing. When I first tried keeping them I had the exact same problem. My water was exactly what is suggested for rams and yet they would die and I'd feel horrible. I gave up on rams until I saw a bunch of them in an aquarium shop that were labeled "Local bred"
    I took the risk, bought them and now have a pair of beautiful rams that are so hardy they survived a cycle (not recommended though obviously).
    Sorry for the long post but my point is that Rams aren't supposed to be fragile, just terrible breeding practices have sadly made them this way. If you can find a shop that has HEALTHY rams, try a pair and you might have better luck.

8. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Both species of Rams I currently keep are imported.

9. Sushi roll

Sushi roll New Member Member

Whoops I must have missed that, sorry. :emoji_sweat_smile:
    Can I ask if you got all the Golds from the same place? If so it might be the person you got them from had a weak batch of golds.
    If not then I can't think of anything else that could be causing it.

10. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I did. That was my only thought as well.

11. strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

This is from my own experience and from the experience of those with apistogramma. Commercial dwarf cichlids are plagued with intestinal flagellates that become a problem when fish are stressed (during the selling procedure). These flagellates will bring the fish down rather quickly once the appropriate stressors are in place. Symptoms can be nothing to lethargy and white poop. Some fish fair better than others. Since I've used metronidizole I've had much better success with dwarf cichlids, which indicates to me flagellates are indeed the problem and metronidizole is a very good solution. The fish need to be fed the metronidizole as soon as they are in your care for up to 3 weeks and no less than 2 weeks.

12. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I had been soaking their food in and treated them with Kordon Rapid-Cure as well as did a treatment course with it.

13. KimberlyG

Are they any better today?

14. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I don't have anymore yet. I have a GBR I got from the same store though. I got her around a month ago, and she has done phenomenal.

15. KimberlyG

I didn't know you were just down to one. I must have missed a post.
    I'm sorry for your situation. Are you going to try again from a different source or is that the best source available to you?

16. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

I was wondering about your water. Is it hard and softened in tank with wood and/or substrate? Or do you have soft water from the tap or use ro? I have heard some folks say that their rams had trouble with water changes due to the differences in Ph from tap to tank.

Also my luck with petsmart fish is maybe 50/50. I won't buy fish from petco at all.

17. OP
    OP
    Katie13

I've only managed to find them at this particular store. It's rather dissapointing, but hopefully I'll manage to get the tank stocked eventually. It is over an hour drive to get to this store as well. The price is the same as what I can find them for online without paying shipping.

Well, this is my favorite Petsmart within a 1.5 hour drive. Their fish tend to be pretty healthy. My water straight from the tap has a pH of 6.8 and KH is nearly off the charts. The water in the tank is 6.3-6.8. Because my tap water is extremely hard, I have wood in the tank and have been slowly increasing the amount of it added. The KH of the filtered water is at around a medium hardness. I also drip acclimated all the Rams. I am doing the same thing in my GBR tank without issue.