Gold Ram/EB Ram fry

1. fighter55 Member Member

Hi everyone! My beloved Electric Blue Ram recently died:(, but he left me with an awesome present. Fish eggs! While watching the fish in my QT, I noticed something on the gravel that my Cories were trying to get at. I took a closer look, and sure enough they were eggs! I'm not sure if they're fertile, but I look forward to seeing the colors that will hopefully come out of it! I'm a bit of a newbie though, so does anyone have advice on raising the fry?

2. fighter55 Member Member

The mother is a gold Ram. I forgot to put that in.

3. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Do you have a spare 5 or 10 gallon tank? If you do then you should move all the eggs you can over to the tank.

For feeding you can crush up flakes for the first 2 days. Then you should feed live baby brine shrimp.

A link to a brine shrimp hatchery from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco...QPMG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1333211525&sr=8-4

As for the filter, a sponge filter is great. Fry get sucked up in HOBs or canister intakes.
    Also take a sponge from an established filter and put it in the new tank.

Put some java moss so the fry can have hiding spaces.

Woah! So you'll have hybrids.

Good luck with your fry.

4. fighter55 Member Member

Thanks! I can't wait to see what colors they'll turn out to be :)

5. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

post pics when they color up!!!!

6. fighter55 Member Member

I definitely will! The only thing standing in my way is them being infertile, or all of them dying. This is the only batch I'll get, sadly :(

7. fighter55 Member Member

So they all hatched and were free swimming in the ten gallon...... until they all died. It was a completely cycled fish tank, and all of a sudden the ammonia spiked. It is back down now, but sadly all of the fry died. :(:(:(:(:(:(:( That was my only batch too! Ugh.... Fish can be so unpredictable, as well as your water quality...

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

That sucks!!!!!!! Wanted to see them.

9. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

me too :(

10. fighter55 Member Member

Yeah me too... Maybe eventually I'll get another EB Ram.