Help Gold Nugget with a strange patch

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi all,
i am hoping someone can help.....
i have had a Bristle nose and i am used to the occasional colour changes (light/dark patches)
well i got a gold nugget about 4 weeks ago, he seemed fine, feeding on muscles and frozen bloodworm, with wood to munch on. Active from evenings moves about well and seems happy. Over the last few days i have noticed a strange patch. please see pics.
it is only down one side, again he is eating, pooping swimming generally seems active.....but the patch looks quite strong.
anyone else had this or do i need to think about a fungus, infection etc?
cheers

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine changes his colors all the time. He gets patches like that all over him depending on his mood. Nothing to worry about in your case I don't think.

Aldric

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi socks, ive been keeping bn now for some months and mine are always changeing colour and getting strange patches on them, worries me half to death sometimes but I know they are well fed on a veriety of foods and have clean water, mine are even breeding every few weeks or so. what other foods do you give it? I feed mine on plec pellets bloodworm pellets earthworm pellets cucumber mellon and mango plus they have bogwood

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i add cucumber regularly aswell and algae wafers (even though the wafers seem really small compared to the size of their mouths)....i think i forgot to mention them in my hurry to ask the question...lol.
never tried any pellets. might have a look at the pet shop to see if i could get some. it is worrying when the patches appear, just never had a gold nugget before and its the first patch.
thanks

Aldric

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just make sure you keep an eye on your water peramiters and feed him a well ballenced diet, its why i feed mine so many different things. and dont worry we all worry about our fish you just have to look at the threads ive started to see how much I worry lol

birddancer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It almost looks like a burn. Maybe be siddled a little close to the heater? Doesnt look too bad though and as long as he's eating and acting normal.

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i was looking at the tank how it could have happened , the heater is in a protector. so i have ruled that out.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Socks. You have a beautiful Pleco there. If the patch isn't fuzzie and he isn't losing any scales then I think he is probably ok. He's not losing weight or any other problems?
My Pleco also changes colors from time to time in different places.
As for feeding...my Pleco loves fresh cucumbers, zucchini, and algae waffers. He's getting big too. 8" now.
Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Ken

socks2009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
its not fuzzy (that i can see) his belly looks fine, i did put two pieces of cucumber in last night to wake up this morning to it almost gone!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom