Gold Nugget Pleco Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sonya, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Sonya

Sonya Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I recently set up a 120g freshwater -- It's a mature tank, fully cycled, just was without occupants briefly. Planted, With lots of driftwood and some rock.. I bought a gold nugget Pleco from LiveAquaria, and they accidentally sent me two of them. I read they should not be housed with members of their own. Thoughts? Image1523467424.161053.jpg

2. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

where are you located if you don't mind. Maybe a Fishlore member will take it off your hands

3. OP
    OP
    Sonya

:) West Grove Pa.

4. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

UGH, every time. Lol, Hmmm you could also see it to a pet shop.

5. OP
    OP
    Sonya

I think I will take the smaller one to a pet shop. They are both quite lovely, but I don't want fishy blood on my hands! :)

6. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

In a 120 you will most likely be fine as long as they have plenty of sight breaks and some extra caves. They may get rowdy at feedings but when I had two plecos in a 65 it was all completely harmless. The bigger one chased off the smaller one for food or territory, but nobody ever got mean. I dont know if golden nuggets are any different, but if you have black substrate I would definitely keep both and see how they do. Always wanted one but I'd need another tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Sonya

There is definitely plenty of space and hiding places… But they are hanging out together anyway! If there is an issue, I will re-home one of them. From what I have read, gold nuggets aren't all that tolerant of their own… But fish have different personalities so I will hope for the best but take one out at the first sign of aggression.

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

A 120g should be enough space for 2 gold nugget plecos.

If not, I'd take a drive to pick him up :). I've been looking for a medium sized pleco and a gold nugget made my top 3.

9. OP
    OP
    Sonya

I will let you know :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice