Gold Nugget Pleco

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone,
I recently set up a 120 gallon freshwater -- It's a mature tank, fully cycled, just was without occupants briefly. Planted, With lots of driftwood and some rock.. I bought a gold nugget Pleco from LiveAquaria, and they accidentally sent me two of them. I read they should not be housed with members of their own. Thoughts?
Image1523467424.161053.jpg

Aqua Hands

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
where are you located if you don't mind. Maybe a Fishlore member will take it off your hands

OP
Sonya

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
West Grove Pa.

OP
Sonya

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I will take the smaller one to a pet shop. They are both quite lovely, but I don't want fishy blood on my hands! :)

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In a 120 you will most likely be fine as long as they have plenty of sight breaks and some extra caves. They may get rowdy at feedings but when I had two plecos in a 65 it was all completely harmless. The bigger one chased off the smaller one for food or territory, but nobody ever got mean. I don't know if golden nuggets are any different, but if you have black substrate I would definitely keep both and see how they do. Always wanted one but I'd need another tank.

OP
Sonya

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is definitely plenty of space and hiding places… But they are hanging out together anyway! If there is an issue, I will re-home one of them. From what I have read, gold nuggets aren't all that tolerant of their own… But fish have different personalities so I will hope for the best but take one out at the first sign of aggression.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 120 gallon should be enough space for 2 gold nugget plecos.

If not, I'd take a drive to pick him up . I've been looking for a medium sized pleco and a gold nugget made my top 3.

OP
Sonya

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DarkOne said:
A 120 gallon should be enough space for 2 gold nugget plecos.

If not, I'd take a drive to pick him up . I've been looking for a medium sized pleco and a gold nugget made my top 3.
I will let you know

New Threads