Gold Nugeet Pleco

1. Jayha68 Member Member

Hi All,

From my reading and research I just got a gold nugget Pleco for my 50gal.
    from what I've read they are slow to grow and attain a max size of roughly 6". I do plan on getting a larger tank in the next 3-4 months.

My question, is this type of pleco as big of a poop machine as the rest and will a weekly 25% WC be enough? My tank stats are up to date and the tank is pretty lightly populated.

2. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I would let the nitrates be my guide, if 25% is no longer enough to keep them under 20ppm, then I would increase it. Although I do a larger waterchange on most of my tanks, the fish love new water.

3. Jayha68 Member Member

I love the marimo moss ball you have, would this help feed the Pleco as well? Do you have any special needs to have it grow? Tried googling it and not a lot of information on it out there.

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

5. Jayha68 Member Member

Wow Jaysee you may have just ruined my whole weekend! I I told my LFS I was looking for a pleco that was colorful, wouldn't compete with my albino cory's and would stay small (I was leaning towards a bristlenose pleco) and they told me the Gold nugget would peak around 6" and not compete. Should I bring him back to the store? I love my albino cory's and was planing on adding more and now scared they'll be attacked.

Maybe see if they'll swap for a
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=751 ?

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

haha sorry about that. You certainly aren't the first person to be duped by the fish store, and you won't be the last. Chances are that it won't reach 14 inches, but it's still going to eventually be a larger pleco than you were hoping for. I don't think you have to worry about the corys being attacked. I'd keep it if you are going to be upgrading.

7. Jayha68 Member Member

I do plan on upgrading in about 3-4 months so I will keep him...even if I never see the little bugger! Always very stealthy hah!

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It can take some time for plecos to get comfortable enough to be out and about.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

can you try to get a picture of him/her ? they are awesome looking plecs! congrats! around here, we would pay 50 for a 3 incher grrr

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

hence the reason they are "perfect for your tank!" :)

11. Jayha68 Member Member

So after returning to my LFS to berate the poor salesperson (heir a small local store supposedly very knowledgeable) I find out it was NOT a Gold Nugget pleco!

Instead it's a Flametail Gibbaceps Pleco of which I can't find any information anywhere aside from typing it into google and the image is right but cant find any good info on it. Anyone familiar with this breed? He looks just like this! Thanks for the link to that awesome site Jaysee, he looks like he may be a Redfin Cactus Pleco or some type of hybrid. Some pictures of the tank and his cave I made for him...

Attached Files:

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I take it the flametail gibbaceps is the same price as the golden nugget... Surprise surprise.

13. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

all right, heres where i come into plau ;P

This flame tail gibbaceps(spelt Gibbiceps) is what they call L114, which is actually
    Demini Leopard Cactus Pleco (Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus),
    who is not related to
    Flame tail cactus pleco(Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps) which is what they clame he is.

The flame tail itself has 4 diffrent scientific names
    Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps
    Ancistrus gibbiceps
    Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps
    Liposarcus altipinnis

IMO, lets wait for his tail fin to grow out and color up. Either way an upgrade is in store.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How does it compare to a golden nugget in value?

15. Jayha68 Member Member

My big question is that right now and for the next 3-4 months he's living in my current tank, I plan on moving May 1's and getting a monster 180g tank. figure another 2-3 weeks to fish less cycle it so call it 4 months till he moves into this tank. will he outgrow my current 48g in that time? As well as his max size and friendliness towards my albino cory cats?

P.s. I haven't seen him in a day or so and the tank is not that full (see pictures) that he should be able to hide this well, do they sometimes burrow into the gravel? having minor concerns.

16. Jayha68 Member Member

Yes the 50 dollar quote above was the almost right on the money, he was 49.99 lol! good call!

17. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

My post was not a responce to your :p, mine was just what i learned about the potential pleco he has, figured id share! I can go find prices if it would please you? Also, the Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps is AKA sailfin.

The "gold nugget" was $50(roughly)

We all know that sailfins are cheap as dirt, but its probably not one.

Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus, Demini cactus pleco,(L114) is considerably rare and a great find imo, i would KILL to have one.

Now, something you didnt want to hear, they are carnivorous. which means he will need meat, not live but meat none the less. Store bought shrimp, mussels, clams and so on. Heres your link
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=208

18. Jayha68 Member Member

I'm not concerned, I thought s/he was beautiful and happy with the price.

19. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

lol you ninjad me.

20. Jayha68 Member Member

hah! I was happy with the price just concerned that it wasn't the right fish and I had no clue of the care! Just got home from the supermarket with some zucchini, eggplant and yellow squash, going to cut it all up and put into freezer bags for ease of feeding! So excited about this little fella.