Gold gouramis changing colour

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 4 gold gouramies in a 120G community tank 2 males and 2 females. I have had one male for 2 1/2 years and he has always been a gold patterned colour much like the females. However recently both my males have darkened so they are yellow and purple patterned. The only thing that has changed is I have a new light but its pretty much the same as the old one.
IMG_20191022_210000.jpg

this is one now
IMG_20191022_210036.jpg

this is how it used to be.

Any ideas why this is happening?

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isn't that a female? Mine change colour throughout the day, being plain yellow in the morning and evening, and having heavily patterned black stripes like yours during feeding, especially when sparring with the male. The black spot on her caudal peduncle appear and disappear at will too!

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure it's a male. Both my males have changed colour recently but they are different ages. The other one was only bought earlier this year. They have never done this before.

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure it's a male. Both my males have changed colour recently but they are different ages. The other one was only bought earlier this year. They have never done this before.
Unless the angle is funky, I'm quite sure that's a female. females have rounded and stubby dorsal fins like so:
images (25).jpeg

While males have long and pointed ones:
images (24).jpeg

(image copyrights belong to their respective owners)

Regardless, i wouldn't worry so long as they're behaving as before. As previously mentioned my gold gouramis change their 'stripes' several times during the day depending on mood. Perhaps yours felt like showing off with the new lights!

Heron

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks. I realised that in the picture I sent the dorsal fin does look like a female, it has a long pointed fin however it is bent behind itself in the photo. here is a different photo of the same fish.
IMG_20191022_221624.jpg
IMG_20191022_221624.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom