Gold Gourami

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought a Gold GouramI today for my 38 gallon community tank
so far I have only platys and fancy guppies in the tank

will the gouramI be aggressive toward my other fish?

the store that I bought it from had red gouramis too, but I liked the look of the gold one better

I can always take the fish back to return it

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had golds and am glad I don't any more. Once they were done killing each other off, the last one became aggressive towards my other fish. I believe you might have a problem because your other fish swim at the same level as the gourimI does. It may view them as competition for space.

But, I haven't had the same species in my tank. So, let's see what others have to say.

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think it really depends on the temperament of the specific fish. Some gold, or three spot, gouramis are very aggressive, but others aren't, so you'll have to see. You have it in the dwarf gouramI section, so is it a gold color morph of the dwarf, or a gold color morph of the three spot? Well, I hope this helps.

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Emberdee said:
I think it really depends on the temperament of the specific fish. Some gold, or three spot, gouramis are very aggressive, but others aren't, so you'll have to see. You have it in the dwarf gouramI section, so is it a gold color morph of the dwarf, or a gold color morph of the three spot? Well, I hope this helps.

it looks to be just a typical gold gourami...
the store only had two types of gourami
a red dwarf gourami, and the gold gouami

on the red dwarf's tank
there was a sign that read "very peaceful fish"
so I figured it was the same for both fish
since the only warning that I cam across for these fish was that I shouldn't mix gourami's with each other

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Thread has been moved out of the Dwarf GouramI forum and into the GouramI forum.

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have had no issues and I have 4 gouramis together in my 35 gal tank. They are very peaceful. The dwarf guramI is an aggressive fish though. I have a pearl, opaline and 2 orange (forget their common name???) Gourami. Not only do they all get along with each other, they show NO aggression towards any of the fish in my aquarium.

Gouramis are all diff in personality I guess.

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just bagged him up to switch him out with another fish
I feel like I don't really want to risk having him in my tank...

I haven't read too many good things about the gold gouramI in a peaceful community tank
most complaints that I am uneasy with include aggressive feeding, and growing to 15cm

yeah...

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I switched the gold gouramI out for the dwarf red gourami

and the place I bought it from swears that it is a peaceful one

I also managed to pick up 3 zebra danios for $1.60!

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
cool, dwarf gouramis are great, I don't think they are normally as aggressive. I would add more danios, they laike schools of 6+.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got a Gold GouramI in a 38 with Angelfish and Corys. The Gold might chase a Cory around but its very short lived and during feeding, nobody bites, and usually just hang out together.

Like others said, just depends on the attitude of the fish. Some are nice and some aren't.

DiTrolioDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Currently I aswell have 2 gold gouramis and 2 angelfish in the same tank with 5 zebra danios, and the gold gouramis never attack or stress the other fish, the only time my gouramis have been aggressive is with each other but its very mild and just after feeding time!

I think they are great fish to have though I would have a pair rather than one on his own as single kept fish have been known to grow aggressive towards other fish. They remain unaggressive if kept in a pair of male and female, even better if you have a male and 2 females. but never keep two males together that's when they become aggresive.

but again its all down to the individuel fish as there personalities can differ greatly, if you decide to keep the gourami... happy fish keeping!

patzee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've also read a lot about aggressive gold gouramis. I don't see that with mine. I have 3 females and one male in a 55 gallon tank with two angels. They have been peacefully living together for about 1 year now.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads