Gold Gourami w/Ick Help 

bettacrazy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
On the 28th of April I have purchased two Gold Gourami. About 2 or 3 days later I have noticed that the fish have been swimming oddly, to describe it, like the movement of a chicken's head when walking, that back and forth motion. Then 2 nights ago I have noticed that they have white spots on them, then realized that it was Ick. So have qurantined them and added the treatment, tomorrow(5/5/10) will be the third day of treatment. According to the bottle only 3 doses should be the maxium. So basically, what should I do if by the 4th day they still have Ick. I don't have a heater and they are isolated in a 1 gal tank w/filter, the carbon filter removed

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm really sorry your Gouramis have ich.
If they were with any of your other fish, those fish have also been exposed.
A 1 gallon tank isn't really big enough to Q that size fish. When they're in too small a tank, it creates stress which weakens their immune system making it harder to fight off disease and illness.
It can't be heated properly and ammonia (from fish waste and left over food) builds up quickly.
Usually ich can be treated by slowly raising the temp to 86F, leave it there for at least 2 weeks. This will interupt the life cycle because ich cannot live in warmer water. Increase aeration to make up for less oxygen in warmer water.
Do water changes and gravel vacs to pick up any ich spores.

The problem with meds, is they usually attack the parasite after it has attached its self to the fish, leaving the spores to hatch and re-infect the fish.

Good luck, I hope your fish feel better soon!

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First, I would remove them from the q tank and put them back into your main tank. With ich, you need to treat the whole tank because by the time you see spots it is quite possible that it has already infected other fish. You can start the treatment over in the main tank. Generally, you can run through ich treatment twice, with a large water change in between. What will also help greatly is to slowly turn the heat up in your tank to 84. The heat will prevent the ich from reproducing any further and will speed up it's life cycle.

Hope your fish start feeling better soon!

bettacrazy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the info. I only have a small automatic water heater that goes up to 78. On the bright side the gouramis do look much better. I have been checking my community tank and I have yet to to see any odd behaviour or any signs of ich. I have done partial water change on the main tank 2 days ago. So I guess there is more to it. x

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bettacrazy said:
On the 28th of April I have purchased two Gold Gourami. About 2 or 3 days later I have noticed that the fish have been swimming oddly, to describe it, like the movement of a chicken's head when walking, that back and forth motion. Then 2 nights ago I have noticed that they have white spots on them, then realized that it was Ick. So have qurantined them and added the treatment, tomorrow(5/5/10) will be the third day of treatment. According to the bottle only 3 doses should be the maxium. So basically, what should I do if by the 4th day they still have Ick. I don't have a heater and they are isolated in a 1 gal tank w/filter, the carbon filter removed
My 10 gallon tank is notorious for getting ick too it usually happens to tropical fish, and happens when the water is either not warm enough or they are very stressed since their slime coat weakens.

I use a product called NOX ICH. I put one squeeze per gallon so say if you have a 35 gallon tank, put in 35 drops. Also, remove the activated charcoal carbon bag since if you leave it in the filter, it will get rid of the nox ich stuff which isn't a good thing. After a few days, you will find that the ick is being killed by the nox ich and then when you have seen all of the ick gone, do a full 25-50% water change because the fish will be very weak from the parasite being attached to their scales. You'll have to follow the instructions. Some say do it on days 1, 3, and 7 and others will say it differently. You'll need to follow the instructions on whatever ick medication you have with you then do the big water change at the end when there is no more ick

I hope you got what I said

Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads