Gold Gourami tortures tetra all the time

katwright

Hi,

I'm a beginner fish keeper and I had a couple of losses due several reasons. I just bought a golden gouramI to my 20 gallon tank and he constantly tortures the tetra. I'm afraid the tetra will die due to stress. Buying another tank is out of the question and I really don't want to return the gold gouramI to the store. Any suggestions?

Shawnie

welcome to fishlore!!!!!!

the two suggestions you don't want to do, are the only ones to fix it unfortunately

gourami's are totally territorial and 20 gallons isn't enough to keep him happy and non agressive...

you are overstocked with the goldy in there so id suggest returning the goldy and gouramI and maybe getting a nice school of tretras..that's hard because you love your fish but its better than death

Devon

Welcome!! ;D

Agree with Shawnie... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but anything along with a goldfish in that tank is potentially overstocking it purely on a bio-load basis. But beyond that, tetras are schooling fish and just one is going to be lonely.

I'm sorry, but my best suggestion is the same... a school of tetras, or just the goldie... but for the good of your fishes, some of them should go. :/

ShaynaB

Welcome to Fishlore! You've come to the right place!

Are there places for the tetra to hide? That might help. Also, tetras are schooling fish and like to be kept in groups of 6 or more. What kind of tetra is it?

But with the goldfish in there, you're really overstocked already. Do you have a heater? Goldfish shouldn't really be kept with tropical fish like gouramis and tetras because goldies don't like the consistent warm temp that gouramis and tetras need.

Also, did you cycle your tank? If not, here's a link about the nitrogen cycle! https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Good luck with your fish!

katwright

Re:

Thanks for the advice!
The tetra is a Bleeding heart tetra. He was OK before swimming all over but the gouramI is always chasing him. If I return the GG to the store what should I get? more tetras like him?
This is an older tank I got it as a present from someone who moved and didn't want to take it with him. The goldfish was already inside.

Devon

Sorry you have to get rid of your Gourami. But trust me, all of your fish will be happier this way.

I would not add anything more as long as the goldie is in there.

I don't know anything about Bleeding Hearts, but all the other tetras I am familiar with are unhappy unless kept in a group of 6 or more.

ShaynaB

Goldies need 20 gallons for the first goldfish and then 10 gallons for every goldie after that. Is there someone you can give the goldie to? With just him, you're completely stocked in the tank.

I would take the gouramI back for sure though.

Barbrella

I would take the goldfish out of there and add 3 more Bleeding heart tetras. Schooling fish are not very happy and are stressed when kept isolated from their own kind.

katwright

Thanks!

I'm taking or giving away my golden gourami. Goldie stays( nobody wants him).
Can I add more tetras after I take out the golden g? Just like 2 more.
I do very frequent water changes because of the fat goldfish.

ShaynaB

It's not so much the water changes, although you're stocked with the goldie alone, but the water temperatures needed for the tetras. Do you have a heater? Tetras need a constant 78 degrees where as goldies need no heater and a temperature that shifts a lot.

I wouldn't put in any more tetras until goldie finds a new home...

Devon

As Shayna mentioned, goldies and tetras need two different types of homes. I don't think you should ever see these two kinds of fish together in the same tank. :-\ Goldies don't like their water nearly as warm as tetras need theirs to be. Keeping your goldie at tropical temps like you see in a tetra tank will shorten your goldie's life considerably. So I agree, overstocking is not the only issue (though it is still definitely a concern).

From their profiles here on FishLore:
Bleeding Heart Tetra : 72°F - 80°F (22°C - 27°C) (https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_bleeding_heart_tetra.htm)
Goldfish : 40°F - 80°F (5°C - 27°C) (https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Goldfish.htm)
(Note: I would never keep a goldfish at 80F except temporarily to treat illnesses such as ich and the like, but that IS the max temp listed there. My goldies were always kept right at room temperature [no heater], and they seemed happiest that way.)

I would either get rid of the tetra and keep the goldie (you may be able to return to the LFS?), or get rid of the goldie and get several more tetras for yours to school with. But I would not keep them both together, and I certainly would not add any more fish to the tank as long as the goldfish was in there.

Sorry to be a party-pooper... Hope this helps you decide, and good luck.

katwright

Thank you! Bad news :-(

Well unfortunately problem solved. My fatty was half decayed when I found him in the morning. He was very very old and very very big. I have two tetras now . I guess I have to go back to the lfs to get more. Thanks for the help everyone!

Devon

So sorry you lost your goldie. It's really sad when they go, especially when you've had them a long time.
On the bright side, your tetras will be much happier with some new friends to school with, and it will make for a very active and interesting tank!

Blub

I have Bleeding hearts and they are brilliant! Get 5 more. That would completely stock you, but it's worth it! 2 males and 4 females. Males have a light blue analfin, and are larger.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom