20 Gallon Tank gold gourami and boesemani rainbow fish?

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was wondering if my gold gourami will get along with boesemani rainbow fish. I have platys and they fine and the lady at my lfs told me that the gourami would be fine with boesemani rainbow fish. I tried it and they got so stressed out that one has injured it self on my rock wall. It is true the gourami did chase them for awhile, so I removed the gourami and rearranged the tank and that didnt work so I took them out and now there in my 10 gal. fry tank. I have a semi thick planted tank and there is plenty of spaces to hide so I dont know if this will work.

My gourami (4inch)is twice the size of the boesemani rainbow fish (2inch). I dont know if the stress of a new environment or if its the gourami? Any info would help. Thanks

ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 10 to 20
temp 79

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 20 is the very lower limit for a 3 spot gourami, and it's possible that it just will not tollerate fish occupying the upper portions of the tank.

Personally, I think boesmanis need an absolute minimum of 30" tank length. They need space to swim, not hiding places.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry I thought it was a blue gourami.

Does it matter if my gold gourami is a female?
I thought the males are more aggressive.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't appologize!

It might, but it really comes down to the individual fish.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya I do think that is true I had a paradise gourami that was very calm before she died.
Do you think the size of the rainbow fish is an issue.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the size of the rainbows is an issue in general, but I suspect the gouramis issue with them was how active they were in her swim space.

jayham26

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ya that why I rearranged the tank, but that didn't work so I might have to take them back or put the gourami in the other tank. Do you think it will ever work out I mean when the rainbow fish are bigger.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom