Help Gold fish Swim Bladder issues

bigbird2170

Reaction score
I've had my little ranchu goldfish for about three months now he recently developed some swim bladder issues. I feed homemade gel food exclusively but I have started to feed peas every other day to keep it under control. If he goes more than two days without peas it gets bad. It's not too big of an issue right now but the peas are really just acting as a bandaid right now I'm scared it will get worse as he grows. He is in a 40 breeder with a black moor who is similar in size. My tank is cycled and sits at about 10 ppm nitrate most of the time. I was feeding three times a day but I only feed twice now to try and rule out overfeeding. I don't think id be able to afford the surgery to release air from the bladder and don't think I could do it my self. are there any more permanent solutions?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hows your water quailty and what are all your water parameters? Goldfish produce a very high bioload and extra water changes are required weekly, especially having 2 in a small 40gal. SBD is mainly brought on by untreated constipation and poor water quailty. I would fast him for 3 days, perform extra WCs , then continue with the peas, make sure you are removing the shell.

OP
B

bigbird2170

Reaction score
They are both young goldfish so the bioload isn't too high yet I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and abt 10 nitrates. I've been doing weekly 50 percent water changes and its been enough to keep my parameters stable. I seriously doubt that he is constipated because of the gel food diet. I had already fasted for 24 hours and feed peas for two days after and when I stopped the symptoms came back. ill try again for two days as three makes me a bit uncomfortable. also I always make sure to remove the shell of the peas

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom