Gold Fish Into 8 Gallon Tank Question

1. SPC

SPC New Member Member

So iam planning to add 2 gold fish in my 8 gallon tank .. Will the space be adquate ? I have guppies and a single molly and some neon tetras which iam gonna tranfer to a big fish bowl .. Iam planning to make my large tank for gold fish only ...And will it do harm to put the 3 neon tetras with the gold fish in my 8 gallon tank ?

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

No, it will not be adequate. Fancy goldfish need a minimum of 29g with an extra 10 for each added fancy goldfish. Common goldfish need a minimum of a 200g pond. You tank is already overstocked as well, so that would already make the space inadequate for another fish to be added.

If you’d like information and advice on your current stock, just tell me and I’ll give you some.

3. OP
    OP
    SPC

SPC New Member Member

iam planning to first remove all the fishes from my main tank then in an empty 8 gallon fish tank -2 goldfishes ? Will it suffice ?

4. Platylover

as I have already stated, no, it will not. Goldfish get to large and have to heavy of a bio load for an 8g. If they were to be put in there they would become stunted and likely die early on.

5. OP
    OP
    SPC

SPC New Member Member

Then what type of fishes will survive /thrive in an 8 gallon tank ? -(Please remember to exclude fishes like mollies , guppies tetras and rasboras from ur advice , i have already tried and i dont like that setup

6. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

To put it simply, goldfish poop a lot. A small tank, combined with a small filter, is not enough to remove toxins from the poop. Goldfish also grow quite large. Fantails can be the size of a basketball and commons grow about a foot long.

Putting any goldfish in a small tank is a recipe for disaster. There will be a build up of fish poop, the fish will get sick from said poop, and they won't have room to grow.

7. Platylover

Here’s a 5g stock list which will have the fish suitable for an 8g-
    Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums

For a 8g I’d suggest a simple but enjoyable set up of 8 celestial pearl danios and some shrimp (like yamato or cherry shrimp). If your tank is cycled and has some plants, they should thrive and become quite a lively tank. I have a setup very similar to this except it’s a 10g, and it’s one of my favourite tanks I have.