Gold Fish In Truble Need Help Fast Please!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Thomas23, Apr 14, 2018.

1. T

Thomas23 New Member Member

Hi I just had a gold fish get over ich and now I'm really worried cuz now he has red streaks in his fin and red spots all over his body and his fins are starting to split and now i think its spreading to the other fish I have in the tank what do I do I need help please please

2. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi Thomas, can you post a picture or two so we can see what's going on?

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

It would also be great if you could post your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings as well as tank size, temperature, and tank mates. It's possible to be a combination of ammonia poisoning and something else. Sorry to ask questions right off the bat but we need some more info

4. OP
    OP
    T

It's a ten gallon tank and the tank mates are just other goldfish and all the ammonia nitrate levels are fine all I need help with how to get rid of it ok just tell me how to get rid of it ok how hard is that

5. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

Okay, first of all, a 10 gallon is far too small for any goldfish let alone multiple. I would rehome your goldfish or upgrade your tank size ASAP. Can you post some pictures, and actual readings, not just ‘fine’. Do a 50% waterchange because I doubt that the parameters are fine in that sized tank

6. OP
    OP
    T

Iv never had a problem before I change the water once a week it has a filter and everything I use well water so ik everything is fine ok if it weren't my fish would have died a long time ago and yes ik a ten gallon tank is a little small but it's all I got and I can't get a bigger tank and I dont have the stuff to do readings cuz I never had a problem till now and how all this got started is because I bought a fish from petco that brought ich into the tank and that's how it all started and I did post pictures

Iv added some photos of the fish in this reply as you can see the water is fine iv never had a problem till I got that new fish from petco with the ich and now you can see what I'm dealing with

Attached Files:

7. Seasoldier

Hey Thomas, we're trying to help you get rid of whatever is infecting your fish but without proper information we can't do that, there's no need to get stroppy or rude.

8. OP
    OP
    T

Sorry I really am

I will send you some photos so u can see what I'm dealing with

9. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

It sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning!! Especially in that small of a tank.... Ammonia levels built up extremely fast!! And if you didn't notice.. goldfish are very very messy!!!!

10. OP
    OP
    T

In two of the photos you can see that the fins have milky white spots and the other one has red veins in his tail

Yes ik goldfish are very messy I clean the tank once a week where drain the whole water scrub the tank clean the rocks and the plants could it be a possibility of fin rot

Like I said I never had a problem before till I got the new fish from petco with ich

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2018
  11. Seasoldier

OK, in pic 1 & 2 the fish look like they have tightly clamped fins & that's a sure sign of discomfort caused by possible water quality issues or a parasitic infection & the white patches could be a fungal infection which is usually a secondary issue to something else when the fish's immune system is low. In your description of how you maintain your tank you do an exceptionally thorough weekly clean which could be part of the problem as you'll continually be destroying the tanks nitrogen cycle, do you know about how that works? I think you may have an ammonia spike issue as you have a high bio-load in a small tank & when you introduced an infected fish it set all your problems off. Firstly you'll need to do just partial water changes (30 to 50%) to keep the ammonia & nitrite levels down & leave your filter alone so it builds up the beneficial bacteria in the filter medium which will turn any ammonia from the fish waste to nitrite & then nitrate, without that cycle your water will always be toxic & will slowly kill your fish. Secondly don't overfeed as that will increase the ammonia in the water. What do you treat your water with when you re-fill the tank? Hope this helps & your fish recover.

12. OP
    OP
    T

Your not getting what I'm saying i never had a problem before it's not the water ok get over the water just tell me what's wrong with my fish and how to treat it ok that's all I want and the whole thing with the clamped fins is because they are looking for food cuz they always swim to the front of the tank and hope I drop food in

All my fish were fine till I got that new fish ok

I'm not trying to be rude but ik for a fact it's not the water like i keep telling you i never had a problem before with the water

There is some sort of infection going on and I need to know what it is how to treat it ok that's all I'm asking

13. Buganjimo

What we are trying to say is that you have had problems before, you just never knew about them. Please, if you cannot upgrade your tank size, rehome the fish. It sounds like an infection caused by ammonia poisoning. Daily 40-50% waterchanges should help for now but you will have to eventually move them to a bigger tank, weather that be your or someone elses.

14. OP
    OP
    T

The problem started when I got the new fish from petco I never had a problem before till I got that new fish there was something on that fish that is spreading through the tank yes ik i will have to get a bigger tank eventually

I never had a problem before till I got that new fish

15. Buganjimo

No, you will not have to get a bigger tank ‘eventually’ you need a bigger tank now. The new fish might’ve brought something in, but your fish have ammonia poisoning. That is what I am telling you. Take it or leave it. You asked for advice and you got it . You had problems before they just were internal problems bot external so you couldnt see them. Change 50% of your water every day until you can move your fish into a bigger tank.
    Also, please stop double posting. Post once, then wait for an answer, you do not need to say the same things over and over again, we will respond, calm down

16. OP
    OP
    T

I can't get a bigger tank rightnow and idk when I will be able to get a bigger tank no I haven't had problems before is what your not getting it all started with that new fish

17. Tomcat1972

Tomcat1972 Valued Member Member

Get aquarium salt and read on the box how much to use to treat fungal infections. This usually helps my fish anytime they get ich or fungal problems. But like the guys above said also don't do complete water changes. You should never do more than 50% water change because it messes up the beneficial bacteria load in your tank. Your tank needs this bacteria in order to keep ammonia levels at 0. They aren't saying that your well water is bad. What they are saying is that the fish cause ammonia to build up in the water which causes the water to get bad. Also you might need to get some water conditioner to help start the beneficial bacteria in your tank. You might also look into pimafix. You should get a fresh water test kit to keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in your tank also. If you can't afford a new tank you can also look into getting a kiddie pool to use as an outdoor pond. I made one that came out really nice and the fish love it. 20171008_153038.jpg

18. OP
    OP
    T

I always do a full water change and I never had a problem before

19. Buganjimo

You have! That is what we are trying to tell you, you have had problems before and its all building up to your fish getting sick. Which is what happened. If you cannot upgrade the tank immediately, rehome them or euthanize them.

20. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

It could be that your new fish was the straw that broke the camels back too.. by adding him you added even more stress to the already stressed fish....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice